Linear motion transformer - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2012, 10:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

so it is an inside out Lineaum driven from the outer edges rather than the centre it's a more expensive way to do the same thing and what the diaphragm is made of matters not as far as the design goes. You can find the lineaum designs on google patent search and see all the possible variations. I think that a silk screed diaphragm would work much better than the original plastic foil as it would have a great amount of internal loss. It's a new version of an old design. the basic rat shack tweeter is a very good one despite the low cost. I still have a new pair I got to run with some panels but never used, the are a very good looking tweeter in the cool mesh cage. Best regards Moray James.
Old 20th October 2012, 10:49 PM   #12
dheming is offline dheming  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
Something new! As far as I can see from that video the membrane is a half of a cardboard cylinder which is attached to the front grid by a longitudinal foam strip. The longitudinal voice coil is attached to the edges of this half cylinder.
So I can not understand some their claims: no mechanical suspension and no surface deformation.
I played around with a similar concept some years ago but my problem was surface deformation and resulting resonances.
It would be very interesting to understand more about this wide frequency transducer including how it is suspended and also see some measurements!
I also thought the foam strip is what holds the diaphragm in place at first. However as you say that contradicts what they said in writing about no surface deformation. At 1:04 it sure looks like the foam strip is butted right up to if not attached to the grill itself. Also at 1:20 in the video the yellow arrows seem to show the diaphragm moving forward and back in a linear fashion like a dome tweeter would. Then at 1:25 the arrows seem to indicate a Lineaum type of motion? Would be nice to see a translated video.

Last edited by dheming; 20th October 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 21st October 2012, 05:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

May bee they translated surrond as suspension.No surrond.
It looks like the "coil" goes up -cross-down-and back.The horisontal parts of the "coil", top and bottom,might bee suspendet at some foam.

Bernt
Old 2nd December 2012, 04:49 PM   #14
ondesx is offline ondesx  France
diyAudio Member

I also have a pair of Linaeum tweeters from OPTIMUS. They were used in Radioshak loudspeakers (like the LX5). The design was made by Paul Paddock, all the patents are available on the net. Please Morray James can you explain in plain English what are "silk screed diaphragms" ?...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whole.jpg (680.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Detail.jpg (681.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg specs.jpg (609.5 KB, 98 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!