Question for current ML CLS Owners - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 12:44 AM   #11
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Tyu
Maybe this will explain what I,m mentioning
Take 2 speaker enclosures. Build one with all hard woods and build the other with fine MDF. Same construction, internal braces as dead as you can make it but the same dimensions for both.
Now put a strip strain gauge to measure panel resonance as say Stereophile does. Which one of these will show less panel excitement? The mdf panels will be better damped overall under these conditions.
I believe it was Peter Acell that measured a severe frame resonance back at its introduction, but that was a long time ago..
The original CLS had a compressed glue joint frame if thats what is being discussed, but hard woods are to "ringy" in comparison IMO.

Regards
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:30 AM   #12
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Some CLSs....maybe MDF with viner...the pr i have look like wood
But i have heard the Magnepans driver put in real wood... An ribbons an ESL panels in wood big diff in sound.... you can find real time input on the web from others....the sound is For the better.... geting any maggy driver out of the MDF is a great move sound wise....MDF as you say Is well damped... Dead.... an sounds Dark an can suck the life out of the sound...MDF cant get rit of the heat from the vibs so where do thay go back into the driver..
But if you like what you hear from MDF ...What ever it takes to get good sound....you got go with what you like
I cannot hear measurments..I can hear diff
I like tube amps an tube preamps that are over 60years old.. with 60year old tubes....Like HHscott an H/K.. an thay test bad....but sound sweet to me...goodluck
Old 3rd October 2012, 05:45 AM   #13
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

This is some info from Peter Gunns site...
I was only talking about panel speaker myself....But there a lot of post on wood frams ...goodluck

MDF is used in cabinet speakers because there you want to kill the rear wave inside the cabinet and since MDF refuses vibration it keeps it inside until the fill that speakers get packed with can absorb it. However on a maggie refusing this vibration causes all the energy generated by the driver to stay on it, which in turn causes all subsequent wave fronts to be broken up and smeared. Wood naturally and without hesitation absorbs and dissipates vbration, leaving the driver to play as clear and natural as possible. People who have owned the best electrostats have told me that once modded in my frames maggies equal and even beat them in regards to midrange clarity.
Old 8th October 2012, 01:48 AM   #14
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't know if anyone is still following this, but I have noticed a few things with the Metallic mylar on the CLS panels... They are sounding very clean and crystal clear with Bias set to around 2500v.

I have them on Acoustat Medallion MK-131 interfaces (100hz crossover removed and replaced with a 1 ohm resistor) and to bring down the bias (sizzles like crazy at 5kv), I have the I/F on a variac to dial in the best sounding voltage...

I have the setup biamped with a DCX-2496, 250hz and up going to the CLS and below going into apair of Acoustat Model 3's...

This is getting interesting...

Hide this!Advertise here!