Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 08:45 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Magnasanti,

Thanks for answering my questions on the other thread. It sounds like you have a good approach - make the metallic base parts that the lamellas attach to before making the lamellas, otherwise you won't be able to test the lamellas. That's great you have made the mold for the lamellas though. The mold is the hard part, as the fun part is actually making the parts from the mold.

Once you said 'samurai' carbon fiber, I immediately though pressurized/heat setting, but you already have a plan to vacuum bag and cure it in the oven. Do you have the compresser and bag equipment? What type of oven are you using to heat set these parts? I have some equipment at work I can use (compresser, bags, all types of ovens, mill, lathe), otherwise most of this work is done in my garage haha. I do not plan on using fiberglass for my cones, but it's cheap and I wanted to see what I was working with before spending more on aerospace grade carbon fiber or pre-pregs (many types of fiber materials her: www.hexcel.com). The only other fiberglass work I've done before this was repairing surfboards.

So you had to purchase a driver specifically for it's voice coil and magnet? Is it the Dayton Audio RS52AN listed in another one of your posts? I'm still on the look for voice coil sources, but it may be cheaper to buy cheap speakers from parts-express.com or wherever.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:25 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Magnasanti
Thank for the reply. I would have preferred this post to be on the other thread, but as long as its educated, and decently thought out it is OK by me. Yes that is precisely the reason I machined the metal parts first. I don't have the vacuum bagging system though I do have all the supplies. The method I will use for the oven will be to either A build a "hot-box" with temp control and various other temperature apparatus. Or B stick it in the oven following strict Post-curing procedure. This procedure changes with the type of resin used so be careful. Sounds like you have a nice assortment of tools from which to work and build with. I did scavenge the Dayton for the motor and voice-coil. Why are you in need of only the voice-coil?

Last edited by Magnasanti; 21st November 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 29th November 2012, 11:33 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default "Putting it all together"

The following is a picture of all the machined parts that have been assembled.
Dimensions are near exact just different perspectives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snapshot(2).jpg (21.5 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpeg mbl_121_radial8_590.jpeg (61.6 KB, 610 views)
Old 6th December 2012, 03:45 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Realised working model

The following are both a picture, and a motion picture of a working mbl mid-range.
The following are the improvements that are yet to be added.
Use of wacker glue
Use of CA glue
Use of proper lamella aligning equipment
Use of "special sealing rubber"
Use of optimum resin to fiber ratio

Here is a link to the video of the working model playing. Note that all the distortion is merely from the microphone, none of it is heard in real life.

My Edited Video - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snapshot(4).jpg (33.4 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg 15834cda0.jpg (198.1 KB, 576 views)

Last edited by Magnasanti; 6th December 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old 13th December 2012, 02:48 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Looking good, man. Just to clarify, the picture on the left is of your speaker, and the picture on the right is of the manufacturer's speaker, correct?

Did you end up using the samurai carbon fiber for it or what weight in oz/yd did you use? How does it sound to you?
Old 13th December 2012, 11:11 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Yes the speaker on the left is the clone, and the picture on the right is merely for a comparison. This was a really quick and dirty version. Most of it is incorrect, it was made quick and easy just for fun while I sort out the kinks and work on the advanced version. This is why I did not post any measurements. An advanced version will be coming out next week so stay tuned. The carbon weight I am using for experimenting is 5.7 twill weave. Samurai carbon fiber and vacuum/oven curing will be on the final version which again should kick things up a notch. The actual tonality is very neutral although the highs are missing. The music floats from the very air itself even when 1/2' from the speaker it all stays in focus. I hooked up aTang Band 1337sd and the mbl, and spread them about 5 feet the sound was very good and was the most holographic sound I’ve heard. So to say the least things are looking good.

Last edited by Magnasanti; 13th December 2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:30 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Awesome. How many layers did you use of the 5.7 oz? The latest pic is a little blurry but I can't see any voids between the fibers. Well done. The real MBL looks like it is plain weave cut on a bias. What are you using for the surround.. Or the creased, foam-looking material between the lamellas? Also curious why you chose silicone glue over epoxy to secure the lamellas to the VC.

Keep up the good work.
Old 25th December 2012, 03:47 PM   #28
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnasanti View Post
This project is inspired by this thread My MBL 101E replicas
I have not seen either thread before, quite ambitious of the both of you.

Good luck, after all that hard work, even the slightest disappointment can be quite the cataclysmic heartbreaking.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:52 AM   #29
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Agree.
Congratulations on your achievements, but I think a summer vacation won't be enough, it's a *very* challenging project.
Nothing bad about that, you can always continue at a later date.
And .... good luck !!!!
Old 11th April 2013, 10:03 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default First official build ready

This has been a long time coming. The first official mbl clone build is ready to go, further post will show the final result and measurements. This is the set of lamellas for the first build. Test have been done to show the VF and FW contents which will be used and varied in further variations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG111.jpg (576.9 KB, 348 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!