diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   BG RD75 in Australia (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/220122-bg-rd75-australia.html)

fwt1712 21st September 2012 11:30 AM

BG RD75 in Australia

Do any of the Aussie members know who the BG distributor in Australia is.

Parts Express (US) said they weren't allowed to send BG product out of the US, presumably at the request of BG.

I have contacted BG enquiring as to who their local distributor but they haven't got back to me.

Can anyone help me?

thanks,
Nigel.

thunk303 22nd September 2012 03:22 AM

Hey Nigel.

This is no help at all but I have been unable to source them in AUS in the past either.

I did get a shipping quote from parts express for about $700 though :) YAY

Dean

sfdoddsy 23rd September 2012 07:52 AM

I've been pondering a pair as well. The shipping price via my mail forwarder (Shipito) was $236. It's free shipping from PE to the mail forwarder.

bigmattyevans 27th September 2012 10:55 AM

Karaba and son are the new dealer. I was trying to get some RD50s. Cost $950 per driver.

E-mail is richard@karabaandson.com.au and web address is www.karabaandson.com.au

I wonder if I few of us ordered we could get a better price....I'll ask and find out.

Regards

Matt

bigmattyevans 28th September 2012 06:54 AM

Have spoken to Richard from Karaba. He should be able to reduce shipping costs if we can order a few.
If you are potentially interested, pm me with what you're considering and where you live and I'll try to find out what price we can get.

Regards

Matt

sfdoddsy 28th September 2012 04:38 PM

I'd rather save the $600 by importing from PE.

$950 just encourages distributor extortion.

bigmattyevans 1st October 2012 11:56 AM

Save $600 by importing from PE? I haven't done the exact maths yet but 2xRD50s from PE plus postage costs around $1550 when shipping is included. $950x2=$1900. A difference of $350, but doesn't take into account import duty. Any ideas what import duty is on imported electronics? And then the Australian distributor said he could provide a lower price so I thought it might be cheaper.

This is off the radar for me now for a while anyhow. Would be interested to know what import duty is if anyoqne knows.

Regards

Matt

bigmattyevans 1st October 2012 11:58 AM

Sorry Doddsy. In initial message should have said $950 included delivery.

fwt1712 8th October 2012 01:22 AM

It's a pity the prices aren't a bit closer.

Assuming PE are making a profit you could expect the wholesale price of the RD50s is closer to $400 a piece. So if the Aust agents could get this price I'd assume with some bundling on freight the local price should be closer to the US retail price.

With a global market these days it is too easy to compare prices and wonder where the costs are to get into Aust.

bigmattyevans 9th October 2012 10:25 AM

Agreed. I read some DIY project from the US that sounds exciting and affordable then when you look at what it'll cost you once you've source all the parts (that are usually made in China then shipped to the US then shipped to us) it doesn't look so inviting. Could be worse. I've noticed that some of those European countries the speaker parts actually cost more in the country that designs the things than in the US. Now that's really gotta **** you off.