Neo3 tweeter with active crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am using a neo3 tweeter crossed over from active crossover around 5khz...just to be safe i have put a capacitor of 8uf in series with it....

amp -> capacitor ->neo3...

amp i had a B&k lying around it is 125 wpc which is way too much...

is this safe way to use it.....

An 8uF capacitor on that tweeter yields a cutoff right in 5khz neighborhood. So, it's essentially additive with your active crossover and creating an increase in the acoustic roll-off of the filter. Which may be an issue for you?

Unless your amplifier is not well-behaved, I'd go without the capacitor. Those tweeters are fairly rugged.

Dave.

An 8uF capacitor on that tweeter yields a cutoff right in 5khz neighborhood. So, it's essentially additive with your active crossover and creating an increase in the acoustic roll-off of the filter. Which may be an issue for you?

Unless your amplifier is not well-behaved, I'd go without the capacitor. Those tweeters are fairly rugged.

Dave.

it is an B&K st5000....i hope it stays good.... just making sure whats the best way to protect those tweeter...

V

I vote against a large cap. :)

Series "protection" caps no longer become protection if their value is too large. Considerable deflection could be caused in a fragile tweeter (the Beo 3 not being that fragile) while the capacitor charges/discharges with slow moving turn on/off transients.

The 8uF capacitor is perfectly fine....IF it's roll-off characteristic is designed into the target acoustic crossover.

Cheers,

Dave.

Ok now another part i am getting Neo3 for my desktop and Neo8 for my nearfield PC listening...

i read a lot and didnt saw much of difference between two ...that Neo8 can go lower then neo3...

any other inputs and same question what capacitance to provide some safety around it...

i have a Seas 1141 and i plan to cross keep seas from 45-3000 and Neo8 from 2000 -20Khz i will be using active crossover for this as well...

and this will be open baffle...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.