Small problem with bohlender graebener rd50 dipole project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 02:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Small problem with bohlender graebener rd50 dipole project

I am planning on a BG RD50 build. On small problem is bothering me though. Well 3 small problems actually, all boys under school age!

My boys love music but do have a tendency of throwing things, hitting things etc. At the moment I have dynamic speakers and the cone are protected with metal grills.

If I got some RD50s how could I protect them? I could probably minimise the risk based on what room they're in and making sure access is restricted/supervised, but the my boys have always been good at coming up with ways to break things that were beyond my imagination. Any ideas welcome.

Regards

Matt
Old 8th September 2012, 05:18 AM   #2
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Wait for them to grow up like I did. Outside of that, the only thing you can do is keep them under lock & key(Not the kids!) in a lonely listening room(But that will make them try even harder, I'm afraid..)
Try here.. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...p=2&top_cat=60
It would be similar to an electrostatic stator. It's also available in stainless(Tougher)

Last edited by Remlab; 8th September 2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 8th September 2012, 05:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What's with all of the RD-50 love all of a sudden? Not that I'm complaining, it's just odd that there seem to be 3 possible projects going at once around here. Lovely drivers, but I would not go lower than 300Hz.

Unless you are worried about someone sticking a pencil in there or something, the RD series are pretty well protected. Much better naturally than cone drivers that seem to be a big target for pets and tennis balls and such. They do nice custom sized grills here:

Custom Speaker Grills and Covers

Any dimensions you want, with or without radiused edges. I got mine there.

Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!