Suggestions for aluminium ribbon damping? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd November 2012, 08:13 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

No need to buy those they are not made just for ribbon speakers they are just copies of these a paper pleater for a fraction of the price!
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:43 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian t View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks haven't seen this one before but there are a couple paper crimpers out there that are similar. Also those squeezers that professional hair salons use to squeeze hair dye out of tubes are pretty much perfect
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:02 PM   #63
Paul W is offline Paul W  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few View Post
I'm very impressed by the ingenuity posters have shown when devising ways to corrugate, or otherwise pattern, their ribbons. My admittedly limited research on the subject has uncovered more evidence suggesting the corrugation does not help than evidence that it does. I certainly don't want to devalue the contributions of those who have developed nice ways to pattern their ribbons, but is there compelling evidence that it's worth the effort?

I will, of course, shamelessly copy the approaches of those who have come up with nice ways to corrugate the drivers if it is shown to help, but at the moment I remain distracted by the evidence which suggests it doesn't buy you much. Have I just missed the set of data making it clear we all ought to ruffle our ribbons?

Eager to be shown ignorant...

Few

For my 1"x45" ribbons some years ago, I experimented with several foil patterns...plain flat foil, corrugated, foil pressed with patterns (window screen & fabric patterns). The main difference was that corrugated ribbons did not "twist in the gap" as much as the others when driven with strong LF signals...so corrugated was selected.

For resonance control, the ribbons were suspended from wool felt pads at the ends and at the 1/3 length points.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th November 2012, 08:37 PM   #64
hanski is offline hanski  Finland
diyAudio Member

Here's my contribution to the corrugator show.
Never guess which one was my first?

I would very much like to find a finer pitch corrugator roller.
None of mine can produce the fine pitch of Apogee Scintilla midrange.
Well, I can always make one e.g. by 3D printing..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corr.jpg (70.3 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg corr_2.jpg (47.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg corr_3.jpg (50.1 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg corr_4.jpg (80.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 5th November 2012, 08:56 PM   #65
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

You guys have done some great work.....Thanks for the info...When well we see All base driver diyed.....Like the Apogee...thay sound so good an i am only useing the smallest ones the stages.... i have found the sweet spot to at the top of the ribbon...for base an tweeter/mid...the biger the panels the ear in out of the sweet spot ...so all that needed is 21/2'X 16"base driver 3' off the floor...Just onemans O-pine .....goodluck
Old 5th November 2012, 09:22 PM   #66
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hanski. I take it that you know about this man i Sweden. He is making ribbons to your specs. I am using one pair he has produced right now. Quality is excellent. Right now I am concentrating on the bass corrugator.
DahlbergAudioDesign
Pictures added. Use the arrow on the right side
Here are, as promised, some pictures from my playroom: https://picasaweb.google.com/tsundsd...18306051868834

Last edited by dacen; 5th November 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 11:21 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanski View Post
Here's my contribution to the corrugator show.
Never guess which one was my first?

I would very much like to find a finer pitch corrugator roller.
None of mine can produce the fine pitch of Apogee Scintilla midrange.
Well, I can always make one e.g. by 3D printing..
Exactly right. The one on eBay is the only one I've seen that looks right for the corrugations for the MR and TW. I've looked at quite a few of the paper crimpers, and they all have quite wide corrugations, not even close to the Apogee. Those dough rollers posted a few above look promising. I'll search that out a bit

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 5th November 2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 6th November 2012, 06:20 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

DahlbergAudioDesign site has great info for ribbon builder. He has a fine pitch corrugator:
http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/de...s/korrvals.jpg

Thanks AudioquestM-40 for the corrugator ebay link. Well, it doesn't look like a fine pitch corrugator but I can always ask it from the seller.
Old 6th November 2012, 11:50 AM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanski View Post
DahlbergAudioDesign site has great info for ribbon builder. He has a fine pitch corrugator:
http://www.dahlbergaudiodesign.se/de...s/korrvals.jpg

Thanks AudioquestM-40 for the corrugator ebay link. Well, it doesn't look like a fine pitch corrugator but I can always ask it from the seller.
They look like that dough roller don't they?
Old 14th November 2012, 12:33 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Hello all,
I haven't yet made a fine pitch corrugation roller.
I'm still open for all kinds of suggestions where to find proper gears suitable for corrugation.

Btw, here's a link for Apogee Grand ribbon:
http://d1xw7fnq30zy05.cloudfront.net...d_IMG_1515.JPG
It shows an interesteresting pattern in multitrace ribbon.

Hide this!Advertise here!