Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st October 2012, 11:34 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Few View Post

I will, of course, shamelessly copy the approaches of those who have come up with nice ways to corrugate the drivers if it is shown to help, but at the moment I remain distracted by the evidence which suggests it doesn't buy you much. Have I just missed the set of data making it clear we all ought to ruffle our ribbons?

Eager to be shown ignorant...

Few
Steal away, it's the greatest form of compliment! In the corrugation, I believe the detriments are outweighed by the benefits. While it might "measure" worse, I feel the corrugations allow the ribbon to flex and not be pulled taught when not in it's relaxed state. They also have a much nicer appearance with a corrugation.
Old 31st October 2012, 11:14 PM   #52
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

The prototype uncorrugated bass membrane have been playing for over 20 years, but with a little buzz at certain frequencies and without the possibility to tune it for different resonant frequencies. The other thing I have done is to seperate the MR-TW from the bass membrane mechanically. It is now on the side of the woofer on its own stand. This allows me to adjust the distance to the listening position for the best performance. I will post some pictures some day in the near future, just for information.

Last edited by dacen; 31st October 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:13 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacen View Post
The prototype uncorrugated bass membrane have been playing for over 20 years, but with a little buzz at certain frequencies and without the possibility to tune it for different resonant frequencies. The other thing I have done is to seperate the MR-TW from the bass membrane mechanically. It is now on the side of the woofer on its own stand. This allows me to adjust the distance to the listening position for the best performance. I will post some pictures some day in the near future, just for information.
I would very much like to see the photos
Old 1st November 2012, 06:31 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st November 2012, 06:32 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Try one of these its a ribbed smocking rolling pin !
Old 1st November 2012, 06:53 PM   #56
dacen is offline dacen  Norway
diyAudio Member

This tip is great. Probably very usable. I have been searching for something like this for a long time.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:25 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Also worth trying is camera lenses they they have nice ribs,pick up used cheap ones on ebay to experiment or even some bottle tops.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:01 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian t View Post
Looks good, I'll try to find a couple. Thanks!
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:24 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

What I am looking for is a 24" long roller with heavier corrugations to some day make new bass panels. Mine are near perfect and don't rattle due to foam deterioration (after my special repair) but the day will come. There is a seller on eBay that has the near perfect tweeter and midrange corrugator. It has almost the same profile and depth but it's $50 for a plastic tool. I guess the cost is of little concern if it does the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ribbon-Pleat...item41511a8693

Last edited by audioquestM-40; 2nd November 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:11 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Hide this!Advertise here!