A new speaker technology - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2003, 02:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Ken,
Tube guys are allowed to admire new speaker technologies. It's in the fine print on the contract. It's the solid state things that you're supposed to regard with a hostile eye. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind if someone came out with a 6550 that never had to be replaced.
It's odd to me to see someone call today's technology 'rather perfect,' as just the other day I was griping and moaning about the limitations of that same technology. We've got decent French fries, ball bearings, and toilet paper, but audio electronics...I dunno as I'd agree with that one.

Grey
Old 25th October 2003, 02:58 PM   #12
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Our present speaker technology is hardly perfect. It's been worked on to take out some of the more egregious problems, but it really has it's limitations.

A) Cone loudpseakers only fire forward. Limited dispersion in the horizontal plane.

B) Cone speakers are round. You can't stack them one on top of the other without interference problems. If you could make them square, a long, narrow horizontal line could make up for the fact that cone speakers only fire forward.

C) Phase changes throughout the cone speaker's range. The fundamental of one note is out of phase with it's overtones.

D) Lastly, for practical purposes, the home loudspeaker only converts about 1% of the electrical energy it is fed into sound energy. More efficient cones exist, and horns are far more efficient, but for practical purposes in the home, you are operating at less than 1% efficiency.

The good part about cones is that they still can give you a great sound in a comparatively small space. Think of all the enjoyment we have, at what could be reasonable cost, compared to our own ancestors of just three generations ago. Cone loudspeakers are a big part of that-where would we be without them?

But there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.
Old 26th October 2003, 01:00 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I know this is a bit of a stretch in terms of imagination, but bear with me.
Cavemen had it better than we do as far as music goes. Why? Because if they wanted music, they made it then and there. (Ur-DIY, so to speak.) No reproduction, no distortion, no imaging problems. Just the pure essence of music. Okay, now maybe their idea of music wouldn't match my ideals, but it was what they liked.
Nowadays, even if you play an instrument you can't necessarily always get the band together just for a tune or two, then send them home. Those who don't play don't even have that option. Reproduced music just doesn't have the same pizzazz, no matter how you slice it.
Sometimes you have to wonder if the cavemen had a favored chamber in the cave. One that sounded better than the others. Think I'm crazy? How many people do you know sing in the shower? And why do you reckon they do that? Could it be some primordial response to the sound of live human voices in an acoustically hard environment? There are all sorts of things coded into our minds that we don't think about on a day-to-day basis.
Reverberant sound like that could be why some prefer resonant speaker enclosures.
Just a thought.

Grey
Old 26th October 2003, 01:16 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

izzin't this another "version" of a piezo transducer...?? also a voltage is applied...and the whole thingy just moves...right??
Old 26th October 2003, 05:19 AM   #15
wrl is offline wrl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default room for improvement...

Make cone speakers sound like the sweet spot in a set for electrostats from anywhere in the room

Maybe I'm a little biased though.

-Wes
Old 26th October 2003, 11:33 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

This isn't a piezo effect, which is very strictly defined in the textbooks as being a rigid substance that flexes under the application of electricity. I believe they gave the name of the effect this is based on, but I don't remember what they called it. The elastomers they're using--e.g. silicone--are far from rigid. Think of one of those squishy pads designed to help with carpal tunnel syndrome at a computer keyboard. Actually, they named some pretty common materials that exhibit the effect, though they have gone on to find compounds that are more efficient.
Rather than depend on my description of the effect, go read the article. Perhaps the differences will be clearer then.

Grey
Old 27th October 2003, 01:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

other than different materials...the basic theory behind the whole idea is pratically the same right?? Yeah...one step at a time advancement...
Old 27th October 2003, 02:41 PM   #18
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

I dropped by the library to get the article, since it is no longer on the newstands. I Xeroxed the article at the library, though I have not fully read it.

I will be scanning the article either tonight or tomorrow, and will be glad to Email it to whoever wants it. Because the library Xerox machine is black and white, the color graphics will be in black and white. But I don't think that means much.

I send scanned articles .gif, and each page is about 200Kb. When printed, this will yield a perfectly readable page. I don't mess with OCR software. If you want to deal with OCR on your end, go ahead. I don't. The scan-and-send process is much easier without it, I feel, and results in more scanned articles being sent.

For a 7 or 8 page article, that comes to well over 1 MB. Make sure your email box has enough room. If it does not, I can send the pages a couple at a time.

I will check back when the article is scanned and ready to go.
Old 27th October 2003, 02:51 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Okie sure...does this "thing" got any commercial value now...how can we as diyrs implement it?? and izzit better than the stuff we can get nowadays...??? I think this must be pretty new..so no actual real hard facts yet right??
Old 27th October 2003, 07:42 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

As for piezo speakers, Murata is doing funny thing now: http://www.murata.com/speaker/index.html

Hide this!Advertise here!