Diy AMT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
problem im having is adding the alu foil, since i want it to be flat to without bubbles.

my method now is print on the alu , get rid of the release paper(because of the heat it will bow, since the release paper shrinks compares to the alumnium), roll it out on a wetted piece of glass plate. adhesive up, it is acrylic and using water on the roller wont let it stick, but the foil itself becomes sticky again after a few minutes. then add mylar on a frame. just sloppy. then use a heat gun to get rid of wrinkles(that is faster then aply the film without wrinkles). aplly the frame on top of the foil and then i use a piece of (soft) toilet paper and work my way around from the midle outwards to avoid bubbles. ........ loads of steps :(

i then cut the piece to length and drop it in acid :)

....the last step in #762 sounds like you enjoy it a bit too much...

"And now I take what I've sweated bullets over for hours and throw it into The Tank and watch it thrash around....violently at first, but then it slows....and stops..."

Frankenaudio, The Last Chapter. Find us on Amazon....

*L*

I use a wetted plexi glass plate to control the thin film. Use a rubber spatula to straiten the film.

Bernt.

Hello Bernt,

Can you please recall me where you found the thin adhesive aluminum rolls ?

Do you think that the Silhouette could cut simultaneous long strips of these thin rolls : I mean several "continuous" meters (all the roll btw) ? What will be the minimum width for each strip ?

Thank you for the infos.

OndesX

Thank you Bernt for this infos. The issue is the sustainability of the gluing of these aluminum strips on the Mylar sheet, because the pleating of this assembling will increase the risk of splitting of the two components...
Did you experiment such issues with your assembling ?

May I ask you guys something? You seem to be developing a panel that is similar to my recent purchase, a pair of electrostatic panels, 15.5x50cm, 86-90dB per 2.83V and 250Hz-20kHz. I want to make then non-dipoles, but I wonder which enclosure I should build in order to get better output down to 250Hz. Now they seem to roll off at quickly after 400Hz. Sealed? Ported? Large volume, small? Transmission line?

Attachments

• 505_new_bass_box_006.jpg
    505_new_bass_box_006.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 386
May I ask you guys something? You seem to be developing a panel that is similar to my recent purchase, a pair of electrostatic panels, 15.5x50cm, 86-90dB per 2.83V and 250Hz-20kHz. I want to make then non-dipoles, but I wonder which enclosure I should build in order to get better output down to 250Hz. Now they seem to roll off at quickly after 400Hz. Sealed? Ported? Large volume, small? Transmission line?

An amt is Not an Esl , cant compare the 2 , and an Esl cant be put in a housing oké a conventional speaker. You can make the baffle around the Esl larger to extend further down.

An amt is Not an Esl , cant compare the 2 , and an Esl cant be put in a housing oké a conventional speaker. You can make the baffle around the Esl larger to extend further down.

So people keep saying. I think I have stumbled upon an internet based dipole sect, or something. As dipole they sound is nice, but a little scattered. I think a cabinet will do them good. I need hints on designing that cabinet.

I will begin making my AMT non-dipole later this autumn.
Mainly because I sometimes get large fluctuations on the AMT from the bass membranes' air movements.
Not the same objectives as yours, but there might be something useful for you from the outcome.

I will begin making my AMT non-dipole later this autumn.
Mainly because I sometimes get large fluctuations on the AMT from the bass membranes' air movements.
Not the same objectives as yours, but there might be something useful for you from the outcome.

yes but for an amt this might be differend, but for an esl you wont extend down by putting it in a housing.resonance goes up and you lose output as well. if used for only mid high it might be possible in an Transmission line

Just forget it.speaker would be so large. why not extend the baffle even with a U frame it way more easy . An use some damping to catch some of the back radiation. Parameters are unknown as people already told you so there is no way to calculate a cabinet. Just experiment. And see what happens. Best advice I can give you :)

Just forget it.speaker would be so large. why not extend the baffle even with a U frame it way more easy . An use some damping to catch some of the back radiation. Parameters are unknown as people already told you so there is no way to calculate a cabinet. Just experiment. And see what happens. Best advice I can give you :)

:nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.