Diy AMT - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2013, 09:45 AM   #301
solhaga is offline solhaga  Sweden
diyAudio Member

That´s great news, Bernt.
Did you get any indication if it is orderable and in what quantities?

Just a quick check: Have you considered the Phote resist method?
It would require a pattern on plastic but it can on the other hand be re-used.
Using a wide and shallow bowl, you don´t need the "Etsaggregat".

I used to etch my own circuit boards back in the seventies that way.
Old 7th June 2013, 05:33 PM   #302
diyAudio Member

Yes i have thought at that.
But i have read about another way of doing that:Dx Blame ST together Dx Super APost 764.
Use a laserprinter to print the pattern and a laminating machine to transfer it to the alu/mylar.The machine has to be adjusted to a higer temperature.

Bernt.
Old 9th June 2013, 11:41 AM   #303
solhaga is offline solhaga  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEdwards View Post
Can you try the white benzene on your kapton and let me know how quickly the glue comes off vs the rubber adhesive on the polyester tape?
It took a couple of minutes to remove the adhesive from a 185 mm x 480 mm membrane. I tested some kapton, and it should take the same amount of time.
One problem is that you cannot easily see when the adhesive is removed on kapton.
With the 3M film it is much easier as the polyester is colorless and the adhesive yellow.
Old 10th June 2013, 02:59 PM   #304
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solhaga View Post
It took a couple of minutes to remove the adhesive from a 185 mm x 480 mm membrane. I tested some kapton, and it should take the same amount of time.
Thanks very much for checking this. I suppose that I'll have to get some of that solvent. This kind of kapton is of course a bit thick and so on, but it's still interesting (and cheap) to play with. I figure that I can use it to much some planar headphones drivers too - the diaphragm of the Fostex T50rp is rather heavy but still performs wonderfully.

I tried printing on Al as well - my laser printer did not leave a perfect trace pattern (had gaps) but that may have been from the foil not being flat enough.
Old 16th June 2013, 01:47 PM   #305
diyAudio Member

I think I still will do some tests regarding etching of alu/mylar film.
I have not asked the supplier of alu/mylar about quantities yet.Wanted to test it first.
I need some high gloss thin photopaper (80 LB) What is this in gr/m2,or thickness ?I think 12 mill or 30my.
I am not trying to get the AMT to play lower than 1khz.
I am going to make planars to get lower.

Bernt
Old 25th June 2013, 08:26 AM   #306
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have been discussing AMTs as dipoles with StigErik, and he feels the TPL-150 is too tall to be a proper dipole and prefer the smaller Mundorf AMT. The Mundorf has issues with reflections against ceiling and floor because it spreads the sound more vertical. The TPL-150 is very limited vertically, which is a good thing in this case. He ended up with the 2 meter high Bohlender RD75, that solves this problem with reflections. Anyway, what is how I got it explained to me. The RD75 is difficult to get shipped here and is very expensive. How about a 2 meter high planar as a next project? Or maybe a shorter Mundorf version.

Last edited by Rewind; 25th June 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 25th June 2013, 01:27 PM   #307
diyAudio Member

Built a 7' high by 2' wide planar speaker, using 50 x 12.7 x 3 mm neos which was full range and didn't need a tweeter! Using MDF for the frame, no need for a crossover. Using 3 mm alu tape, easy peasy.
Old 25th June 2013, 05:04 PM   #308
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

HENRY......Always doing great work for alll us ribbon lovers...have fun.............thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 07:54 PM   #309
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Did you get to listen and even compare it to the RD75? That is quite a different design, and probably with different dispersion too. Fullrange, you say, how low did it go?

You made a lot of designs. Which one was your favourite?
Old 27th June 2013, 01:54 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

I don't have any RD75's anyway. Goes down to 20 Hz. I think overall I prefer the ones with ferrites, the neo ones are a bit top heavy and are harder on the ears. I don't do any measurements as I don't have the equipment or the inclination. As I have 10 of my planars running in all channel stereo at the same time, it is difficult to measure! I am not really a technical person, I just like to build and listen. I never write enough down with all my rebuilds, I can't really be bothered at my time of life (75). I wish I was more organized, but one cannot help being what one is! At this time I am building planar headphones, which is quite fiddly especially the smaller ones. I am just waiting for my EUREKA moment, if it ever comes to get some new ideas so I can build some more speakers. Or I may just start building valve amps again, as I have a few in the pipeline!!??

Hide this!Advertise here!