Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2012, 05:41 PM   #91
ilardi is offline ilardi  United States
diyAudio Member

What sort of dimensions are people using for the pleats? It looks to me like the pleats have a center to center spacing of somewhere between 1.5 to 2mm. But how deep? Perhaps 4 or 5 mm?

As to the etchant I mention above, you can see an example of one use I made of it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...2454656http://

I have also used it to completely etch through a pattern in aluminum flashing (it was for a meter face). That worked well too, although there was a small amount of undercutting.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:36 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Very cool stuff !!

Thanks for the tips !!

jer
Old 19th December 2012, 05:47 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Mine are like ESS, 2,5 mm. center to center,and 4,5 mm. depth.
My drawing has spacing 5mm.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Download,incraese,decrease and print.Length 130mm.
I have not tried on alu yet.
Wich one is best? laser or inkjet?

Bernt.
Old 19th December 2012, 06:24 AM   #94
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

laser
Old 19th December 2012, 03:42 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by båndsei View Post
Mine are like ESS, 2,5 mm. center to center,and 4,5 mm. depth.
My drawing has spacing 5mm.

Download,incraese,decrease and print.Length 130mm.
I have not tried on alu yet.
Wich one is best? laser or inkjet?

Bernt.
I don't have a laser so I always do photetching and use an inkjet to make the transparency, which works incredibly well, but adds application/exposure/development of photoresist as an extra step. I never had good results with toner transfer- pinholes, poor resolution, etc. But your mileage may vary. It would be very cool if you could make a film/aluminum sandwich and put that directly into your laser printer, but I think that the conductivity of the aluminum would cause some problems with the way those printers work.
Old 19th December 2012, 04:44 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Cannon used to have a Gold Foil transfer paper in the 1990's that was used in copiers but they quit making it and I have never seen it since.

I was really neat stuff and I have used it.
It was used to print Seals mainly and to have lettering done in gold.
I have been trying to think of ways to do this but I have not tried anything yet.

You put your paper in sandwiched between these two sheets and run it though your copier (or laser printer as they were still very new at the time) and out comes your paper that has the gold foil transferred to it from the image that was being copied!!

jer

P.S. Maybe this is what I remember seeing as it was bonding to the toner and not copied from an image.
I only saw it a few times and it was 20 years ago.

http://askville.amazon.com/Home-prin...estId=15652686

This is the Stuff !!!

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1807953...Types&var=sbar

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 19th December 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 19th December 2012, 05:16 PM   #97
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah it didnt print in gold, now that would be neat =) with a bit of wire bonding you could make basic transistors.

as for toner transfer, people do indeed get mixed results based on the specific paper used. I use staples photo presentation paper, which is actually inkjet paper, but used in a rather nice colour A3 Xerox colour laser docucolour (it pays to have a design background and a family of designers) but the paper changes from store to store apparently, I grabbed some confirmed good stuff based in info from a thread here, works great.
Old 19th December 2012, 05:54 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

The stuff I saw was really real gold and is most likely why they had stopped making it.

But, I didn't know that this stuff was available on the hobbiest market even if it is aluminium foil as a heat transfer type.

Yes, I have had issues with different paper's as well so far I have only got HP photo paper to work with my printer.
I had gotten some other type of cheaper brand and it turned out to be to thick for my printer as it Jam's on the little edge that is sticking out from the toner cartridge.

So now the issue would be a bonding material for between the Aluminium foil and diaphragm it self as the transfer method must come first or it will shrink it unless you are using Kapton.
I have some but I think it is 1 mil stuff although it may work.
I haven't made an AMT as I mentioned but it is the same process for a planar driver as well as I am not trying to go OT here.

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 19th December 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 19th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

There is a comment from Nelson Pass that the best sounding ESS AMT's used polyethylene -which also has the virtue of being cheap and widely available.

I know that polyethylene melts pretty well and sticks like glue to a clothes iron if you happen to bring the hot iron near the poly (don't ask how I know this). So I wonder if you couldn't just heat bond the polyethylene to the aluminum foil. No glue needed then.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:25 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

I think that in ADAM's whitepaper they say that the trace is heat bonded to the substrate on their diaphragm.

AMT's don't seem to require extreme precision with the traces (they are thick compared to orthodynamic headphone drivers). Still I'm curious about a very fine pitched AMT. I guess that the pleat resonance could be manipulated. Don't want any audible resonances in a DIY AMT headphone.

I wonder if, with some photoresist, one could use a magnifying glass to shrink a mask to a desired much smaller size when exposing the diaphragm to UV. I think that is what they do in the PC industry. The mask is much larger than the silicon wafer traces.

Hide this!Advertise here!