Words best speaker? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2012, 12:27 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

They are certainly the current SOTA for planar drivers...and you KNOW I love planars so, I'm guessing that they could be very special indeed. High SPL, most likely very low distortion, high quality DSP, what's not to like?

Certainly trying to push the boundaries of transducer technology, which is a far bit more difficult than just buying some Scan Speak or SB Acoustics drivers and making a pretty box.

Greg
Old 19th August 2012, 04:08 AM   #22
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

David Graebener is on the design team and vice president of the company..
Old 19th August 2012, 06:40 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Graebener with the LS4 diaphragm..http://www.resmagonline.com/uploaded...s/IMG_5969.gif
Notice that the tweeter and midrange coils are etched on one single piece of kaladex. They obviously seal off the tweeter like Piega does with their coaxial(But just in the vertical plane). This picture also gives you an idea of how large each module of the LS4 actually is.

Last edited by Remlab; 19th August 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:17 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Just found this..
Wisdom's LS4 | Stereophile.com
Somehow I missed it at the last Newport show. Damn! Oh well, next time..
Old 19th August 2012, 07:19 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

how do Wisdom kill the back wave.Thin film close to the wall.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:31 AM   #26
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

$80k, thats alot of money
Old 19th August 2012, 10:06 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJensen View Post
how do Wisdom kill the back wave.Thin film close to the wall.
I've been wondering about that myself. Probably bonded logic .
Bonded Logic - Construction Products - Acoustical Panels
This stuff is amazing. Works almost exactly like (expensive)wool felt, but made out of recycled cotton clothing. I use it and so does Studiotech. I have a 1 foot thick block of it directly behind my enclosed Neo 10. It definitely kills the backwave. Especially with the lower density stuff right behind diaphragm and the higher density stuff toward the back. They probably have about 10" of fillable depth to play with on that Wisdom speaker..

Last edited by Remlab; 19th August 2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:18 AM   #28
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

OOOOh I want some of that bonded logic stuff! My best panels have been made from compressed fiberglass ceiling tiles. Now to find a retail supplier. My living room has a couple of "issues" to deal with.

Best speaker in the world is the one that makes you happy. There are many hundreds of speaker makers. If one made a perfect speaker, we would all agree and it would be about how cheap to make it. The search goes on. To put that in perspective no matter how wonderful the sound of an 80K speaker, it is not the best for me being about 80 times my typical DIY build budget.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:30 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
OOOOh I want some of that bonded logic stuff! My best panels have been made from compressed fiberglass ceiling tiles. Now to find a retail supplier. My living room has a couple of "issues" to deal with.

Best speaker in the world is the one that makes you happy. There are many hundreds of speaker makers. If one made a perfect speaker, we would all agree and it would be about how cheap to make it. The search goes on. To put that in perspective no matter how wonderful the sound of an 80K speaker, it is not the best for me being about 80 times my typical DIY build budget.
When you visit the doctors office, do pick up the automobile magazine in the waiting room with the Bugatti Veyron on the cover, or the one with the Toyota? It's OK to dream!
Even about speakers! They(The expensive ones) may even teach you a thing or two..

Last edited by Remlab; 19th August 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:12 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Just for fun..
File:VeyronPurSang.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hide this!Advertise here!