New mylar on Sequel II - Update - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New mylar on Sequel II - Update

Having some issues with the new mylar...

1. Constant popping coming from one speaker. I've checked all wiring several times and there is no arcing around the edge of the stator. My best guess is that the mylar is too close to the rear stator, as the popping noise seems to be coming from the entire panel. Weird that only one is doing this. I may need to use a thicker spacing material between the mylar and the rear stator.

2. Lower output than expected. I replaced the ML 12 micron mylar with 6 micron. Output was noticeably less, even after playing for a while.

3. The Licron Crystal spray dried hazy. Not sure if I sprayed too much or if it was just due to humidity.

4. Note to all - soldering irons do not get along well with mylar. I dropped my soldering iron when it was hot onto the non-popping panel and, as would be expected, instantly melted a hole. So...apparently I will be redoing the mylar on both panels.

5. In case it helps diagnosing problems, here's my system:
Emotiva UMC-1
Emotiva XPA-2 (powering the Sequels)
Emotiva LPA-1 (powering the center, surrounds, second room, etc.)
Sony Blu-Ray
Sony VCR
Denon turntable
Akai reel-to-reel
MacBook Pro (6 years old, now a part of the HT setup for mp3, internet, etc.)
Mitsubishi 1080p HD Projector

As always, thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
AndreaT is offline AndreaT  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Peregrine,

I am planning to renew my old (1996 dated) Sequel II panels.

I am looking fo the following info and instruction:
- How to correctly open the panel (detach the front and back stator) without damagin the original mylar? (I would first try to restore it instead of replace right now)
- What mylar have you used? Where purchased?
- I know that Licron Crystal is good, but, have you looked also for others?
- Do you know the "original" good resistivity that the Sequel II panels should have? 10E7 or 10E10 to 10E11?

Many thanks and kind regards,
Andrea

Hide this!Advertise here!