Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2012, 07:12 AM   #1
lpd is offline lpd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Quad question

Can quads be used without the dust covers? I've heard from a local hifi acquaintance that he operates a pair without dust covers. Thoughts?
Old 1st August 2012, 08:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As far as I know there is no reason you can't.
They are just dust covers is all and have no function to producing the sound.
Not having them just means dust can get inside them and any dust will need to be occasionally vacuumed or blown out with some compressed air.
To avoid any of these issues leave them on.
You can however replace them with some thing thinner if you feel that they are hendering the sound in anyway.

FWIW

jer
Old 1st August 2012, 08:38 AM   #3
bifor is offline bifor  Italy
diyAudio Member

I have used my 63's for many years without dust covers (and obviously without metal grilles). Big improvement in details and treble quality.
Caution: use the speakers only in dust free, child free environment and think of some form of protective cloth cover when not in use
Also avoid direct sunlight (UV) on the exposed membranes
Ciao,
Bifor
Old 1st August 2012, 08:51 AM   #4
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

so you say
They are just dust covers is all and have no function to producing the sound....

For years now i have been saying that the So-called Dust Covers are what makes the 57s... the 57s...But thay DO work with out...Been there done that...but the sound well be off...the best panels/ESL i have ever had...were the 57s an Apogee, Magnepans, Thay have nothing between you ear an the Mylar...foil...or what ever...Why other ESL Makers have not use a Mylar type dust/cover on there esL ....go figg...I say the dust/cover on the 57s is 80% of the sound...goodluck
Old 1st August 2012, 09:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My post was just a generalization of their function.

I have never heard the Quad's yet but would very much like too, However I personally prefer the sound of my panels without dust covers.

When I was in to recording bands and singers we did an experiment with pop filters and such.
We tried to use a peice of very thin saran wrap type of material and we did find that it did take away from the airiness and finesse of the high end detail that the microphone was well known for and it certainly could be heard in the recording.
The Idea was to keep spit from getting in to the very expensive microphone as some of the singers had quite wet singing techniques.
The sound was much like the effect of using a diagphram material that is heavier or one that has extra mass on it caused from much dust, soot and dirt on it or even a dirty and unpolished cymbal.
It was very noticeable on a sax track recorded that way.
Even a regular pop filter had a noticeable difference in the sound but not as bad as the plastic wrap.
The average person would not have noticed the difference of either but our goal was to turn out the best recording we could as we were well known for that, Being one out of the three decent quality studios in town at the time.

I can even hear the difference from the added pressure of anything being to close to the back of the diagphram such as an 8" thick piece of Fiberglass insulation in an experiment when I was trying to reduce the back wave.
This have documented in another thread during one of my rebuilds of my little panels.

I am not saying to use them or not to use them.

Cheers !!

jer

Last edited by geraldfryjr; 1st August 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 1st August 2012, 01:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

geraldfryjr....I get what your are saying....an always do..thanks for all of your post an work in diy here....
It seems Nuts to me also...to put one more thing in front of the sound...but as you know this all we can do...but with the 57..an with any other ESL...I gess it is the high bias... that can turn the so caled..dust/cover in to the sweets sounding panels i have ever had.or heard...
This should work with other ESLa as well...but no ones has done it...
It like the Mylar Dust/cover becomes the only driver... an it fites the ear better than any other ESL......This is why people say the 57 sound is the real deal...Like your right there in the room.....even it the base is a littel week....so some say...goodluck
Old 1st August 2012, 04:11 PM   #7
lpd is offline lpd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
so you say
They are just dust covers is all and have no function to producing the sound....

For years now i have been saying that the So-called Dust Covers are what makes the 57s... the 57s...But thay DO work with out...Been there done that...but the sound well be off...the best panels/ESL i have ever had...were the 57s an Apogee, Magnepans, Thay have nothing between you ear an the Mylar...foil...or what ever...Why other ESL Makers have not use a Mylar type dust/cover on there esL ....go figg...I say the dust/cover on the 57s is 80% of the sound...goodluck
I see, perhaps they are required then despite their deficiencies. I have a opportunity to snag a pair of these modified by no grills and dust covers removed. Basically panels in frames with power supplies. Original owner claims they were used this way for years with excellent results. I've never owned quads just acoustats.
Old 1st August 2012, 05:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have had all the ESLs i can find...Quad, JanZans,Acoustat SoundLabs KLH,Acoustats are on top to day for me....some of the SL guys came up with mods for there ESL speakers an i have put some in to my Acousta an i must say there as close to to the 57 sound yet for me.....but go hear these 57 without dust cover....it well work...tell us what you think.........thanks for any an all info on ESLs....goodluck
Old 1st August 2012, 07:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpd View Post
Can quads be used without the dust covers? I've heard from a local hifi acquaintance that he operates a pair without dust covers. Thoughts?
I'm sure they can be used without dust covers, but I wouldn't recommend it. The QUAD-63 is full of subtle compensations to get the response flat including the effect of finite membrane thickness, dust covers et cetera. Without dust covers they are bound to sound a bit too bright because the compensation is still there.

Besides, I know from experience that a good undamaged dust cover is very useful if you have pets who occasionally urinate against the loudspeaker.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jim Strickland of Acoustat made a very clever observation. That is that for the most part the average particulate charge in the air is positive. If you want to keep crap off your diaphragms simply charge them with a positive charge. Best regards Moray James.

Hide this!Advertise here!