Planar for infra

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No one here has said any words to the effect of that cannot work, or it cannot sound good etc, far from it, the issue here is with the absolute extension that is shown in the measurements and how the measurements have been taken.

I am sure with an expanded battery of tests performed on the loudspeaker, that everything would be revealed about what this driver can and cannot do. This is not a question of opinion, it's a question of being presented with realistic and scientifically possible data.

Dipole bass; Relatively high distortion but low room interaction.
Monopole bass; Relatively low distortion but high room interaction.
There is ALWAYS a trade off! Unless of course you have a huge(Not just large) dipole bass system. But then you have severely limited placement options(Placement is everything). Definitely not a good thing. Always trade offs..

Last edited:
Hi all. I know, it is an old thread, but... Just two words about myself: I'm involved with planar speakers for more than 40 years, when I was a child, with my father. We have developed a speaker totally different (for some features, materials and method in construction). Now I'm in search to reach some more SPL in the bass area, and it is easyly possible with a subwoofer. I'm convinced that there are problems with negative wave, specially in the bass area, etc, but what You think about this: I have front panels that are near flat from 100Hz and over, with a SPL of about 86db. If I make a panel for bass, I will never reach the same SPL, because cancellation, etc. But, if I specilize my panel with a high excursion, so to move enough air, with a resonance frequency lower than 20Hz, powered by a sub amplifier dedicated, I think I will be able to produce enough SPL to compensate the rolloff due to cancellation effect, reaching an SPL as front panels...
What are Your thinking about? It could be a viable solution? Consider that I like basses, but not boom boom boxes: if You listen a bass in a Jazz session or in an orchestra, You know what I think...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.