What Disco music did to my Acoustat speakers... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2012, 04:36 PM   #31
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
Steve Martin is one of my comedy idols since i was a kid
Steve is also a very good banjo player and has played many times at the Grand Old Opry here in Nashville.

Brianco will get a kick out of this video for personal reasons. If you see sum dummy Irish guy wearing nothing but his skivvies and cowboy boots while doing some sort of Irish Jig Texas Two Step dance in hiz yard - well you will know the cause of it.

Earl Scruggs & Steve Martin - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Best - YouTube
Old 22nd July 2012, 06:16 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Nuts

Having participated in an Astroprojection project I witnessed a HV experiment. A capacitor bank was installed into a mirrored discoball, this it seemed powered a light weapon that was modulated by a Bay City Rollers song. It wasn't quite the Buzzkill compared to this song but it showed promise.

Why Do You Think You Are Nuts? - YouTube
Old 10th August 2012, 01:57 AM   #33
Bugnuts is offline Bugnuts  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello!
This is my first post here and I'm sorry to bring up an old thread, but my model 3's interface looks exactly the same as the Professors! ( No Disco involved!)
I have been lurking for months, trying to learn, but I am still a complete newb electronics wise.
I was wondering if someone could show me the correct replacement cap for my non-medallion interfaces from the Solen site?
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?c...u1=1&niveau2=3
I have recapped a few pairs of box speakers and I'm confident I can solder the new caps in!
Thanks for any help!
Todd
Old 10th August 2012, 12:59 PM   #34
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Bignuts - Those electrolytics were 220uf (methinks). You will have to get a string of caps that total 220uf, and somehow make it all fit nicely in the interface. It probably would be easier to do the Izzy Wizzy "C-Mod" (google it) witch will allow you to replace the 220uf electrolytic with a 47uf poly cap and a 10 ohm resistor across the HF tranny. Better mod that just upgrading the caps if you ask me. And remember to do both speakers (duh)

And I had a leisure suit once myself - a baby blue one and a beige one. Anyone remember the riot on "Disco Demolition" night at Comisky Park?? Those "DISCO SUCKS" shirts?

Dear god, those were my "Salad Days".

EDIT - found the C-Mod
Attached Images
File Type: gif MK-121C_upgrade[1].gif (26.2 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by john65b; 10th August 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10th August 2012, 04:59 PM   #35
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

you want to PARALLEL, (not a "string") caps to equal approximately the same value as you had before +/-10%.

Use 200v caps or higher if you can.

They do not need to be Solen.
Any good quality polypropylene will be a big upgrade and quite nice, including things like "motor starting" caps (as long as they are polypropylene).

I'd keep the same value as the stock... the lower value (47ufd) is ok, but really best for the Medallion interface... the larger value will get you more midbass/lower mid, which can be better.... depends, you can always buy the caps to make larger values, and remove some caps to experiment!
Old 10th August 2012, 06:14 PM   #36
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, sorry, "string" was not the correct term...parallel the caps to correct value...
Old 10th August 2012, 11:45 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hmmm. I will have to figure out the easiest/ least amount of caps to put together. Any suggestions? I like to use the Solen caps as I have dealt with them a few times in the past and like their product and service.
Thanks for your help gentlemen!
Old 13th August 2012, 12:08 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Had a chance to look for caps today and I hope I found a solution! Just looking for some reassurance that these will work. I would need 4 to do the pair of speakers, correct?
https://www.solen.ca/pub/index.php?c...=2&s2=&s3=&s4=
Once again I appreciate the help!
Old 13th August 2012, 07:55 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
you want to PARALLEL, (not a "string") caps to equal approximately the same value as you had before +/-10%.

Use 200v caps or higher if you can.

They do not need to be Solen.
Any good quality polypropylene will be a big upgrade and quite nice, including things like "motor starting" caps (as long as they are polypropylene).

I'd keep the same value as the stock... the lower value (47ufd) is ok, but really best for the Medallion interface... the larger value will get you more midbass/lower mid, which can be better.... depends, you can always buy the caps to make larger values, and remove some caps to experiment!
The "C-Mod" is equally effective for either original or Medallion transformers. Either version will benefit from the change, as well as allowing the much more practical choice (cheaper and smaller) of 47-uF vs. 220-uF. This is a recommended change.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:05 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=c2cthomas;3095438]Steve is also a very good banjo player and has played many times at the Grand Old Opry here in Nashville.
QUOTE]

id love to see this movie again

Three Amigos Steve Martin Chevy Chase Martin Short - YouTube

Hide this!Advertise here!