Transformer-less Ribbon Driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2012, 01:05 PM   #11
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr View Post
You obviously have never heard any "true-ribbon" Maggies.

Hie thee to thy nearest Magnepan dealer.

Regards,

Andy
Dont assume , try and understand what I speak ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
copper will not work, too much mass... there is an equation that puts all the pieces together. add mass and the sensitivity drops like a stone. Aluminum turns out to the best compromise so far.

Duralumin is simply an old aluminum alloy - no longer made, but a similar one exists today.

_-_-bear
How much is too much mass ?

Mass is important for Music weight and the type of drive system is what affects efficiency, important to balance the two, an heil AMT , vs ribbon of the same size has more mass ..
Old 10th July 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

yes duralumin is an alloy, i know that, and that alloys properties are the reason i mentioned it in the 1st place LOL. Since Cu is heavier than Al, but better conductivity and far better under tensile stress, a ribbon of less CSA, near equal R, AND MORE resistant to sag, is possible. Using duralumin, an ex aerotech alloy, weight would be reduced, and a useful improvement in tensile strength acheived. Long and short, i thought it was a good goal, particularly for longer ribbons with highER tensions. If i vacuum deposit, the weight isnt nearly as significant as the mylar mass anyway...
Old 10th July 2012, 02:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Let me throw in a crazy idea, what about magnesium? somewhat of a compromise between beryllium and aluminium??
Old 10th July 2012, 02:35 PM   #14
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

"what about magnesium?"
They might be really bright if overdriven

Titanium foil might be worth a try
ALDRICH
resistivity 42.0 μΩ-cm 20C
thickness 0.05 mm
2.2 g = 100 100 mm AU$976.00
expensive experiment
Old 10th July 2012, 02:50 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

@ mark: Mg may bring a new meaning to 'flare' as well, if i hornload AND overdrive!

But seriously, Mg Al alloys are a good idea, as is the Ti ribbon. Though i think that 50um is maybe too thick, particularly if i make a laminated or composite ribbon.

I have even considered just experimenting with a single wire, in the gap, for a high flux, and hornlmading to help with sensitivity. I assume SOME effect on efficiency with respect to diaphragm area. Im not 100percent this is true. Maybe a guitar string lol, magnetic i know, my humour again.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th July 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yup, that would be a nice show. But if we think out of the box a little more a laminate with mylar + carbon (maybe those fancy nanotubes are an option?) could be interesting to try, if you have the tools to cook up something like that.

Or what about those blankets used by emergency crews (gold layer + plastic layer) reinforced in some way? I think they use mylar for those + they have a metal layer..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emrgency blanket.jpg (4.8 KB, 139 views)

Last edited by Mark.Clappers; 10th July 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 03:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

ah ha! Yes! Space blankets...very nice idea. The silver ones are very cheap to try, and test for conductivity. Nanotubes are an idea which is way beyone my skill. I wonder if raw carbon fibre 'cloth' conducts?
Old 10th July 2012, 04:27 PM   #18
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Alloy foil with Mylar backing is all you need guys , copper voices better but may have too much mass for the application , if narrow gap and using Neo's may just work ...
Old 10th July 2012, 05:09 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

ok. I assumed copper voiced worse tbh, like the alloy bells are made of. But i am just riffing really.

The idea of many small gauge ally or copper wires, superglue and mylar seem a basic way to test a simple home made job.

A flat braid of small wires may be worth a try, it just occured to me.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th July 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 05:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Actually, my joke of a guitar string as the diaphragm, may be a fun experiment. Perhaps a field coil drive, with magnetic ribbon...
OR, maybe just a DC fed, or DC biased drive to the ribbon, with field coil rather than neo...
Other than that, PVDF film is the only other idea i have, and thats hideously expensive too.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th July 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!