MBL room The Show Newport 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you think of the effect of a sound opaque wall between the speakers, AKA a cross talk cancellation device, this is not the explanation. This point is developed in a Keele's paper.

In two words, the "wall" has to stand up where the confusion happens, close to the ears and not close to the source. The best approximation is a kind of hat that suits closely the head shape, like a roster crest but that goes also on the face. It has not to be very big, a 60 cm radius is enough. Once I did this fantasy in stiff rubber plate and it works.

For the exact contribution of this wall on the MBL show, for sure something, but could be negative as well in this concrete building. I am ready to think that the amazingness that you heard there comes from the speakers. They must do still better in a more friendly place.

Ps : I have been also mesmerized the first time I heard them. No wall in between.

I heard the exact same system in a different room but the same hotel the year before. Sounded amazing, but way, way better this time. They could have chosen any room, but they chose this one, which happens to be the only room with a wall in between. Maybe they're aware of something we're not aware of..

That room they used was at one time 2 rooms that were converted to 1 big space for whatever reason by the hotel
That center wall is a bearing wall that couldn,t be eliminated.
MBL just wanted a big enough room to do justice to there design without limitations
With a unique radiation pattern far different from the normal, it all makes sense

Regards
David

If they wanted that, there were several "conference" rooms on the bottom floor that were way, way better for this purpose than the room they had without a wall in the middle. The one used by Magico for the Q-5's in 2011 would have been perfect for this. The other hotel had several excellent "wide" ground floor rooms also..

Those also had very tall ceilings that would suck up huge amounts of power and affect bass response.
I do remember at CES 2 or 3 years ago that they used a similiar sized tall room to show off their doubled stack and the sound distorted on peaks. It was quite easy to hear and sounded terrible. Something was clipping for sure...
Those tall rooms don't represent a typical consumer's room.
Trying to pick a decent room to make your product sound great I,m sure gives manufacturers a headache

Regards
David

It's difficult to trust the memory for audio, but IIRC, I was not totally seduced by the bass reproduction.
MBL or not, a 12" remains a 12", and in the demos, considering the overall ridiculous efficiency ( as 82 dB/1w but in a 4 Pi space), when they push the system at loud levels, it's sure that they reach the clipping limit. Probably the drivers give up before their monstrous 90 kg amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.