Goodbye ! No more speakers with cones !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you think so, try to build one yourself using the improvements you think will solve the inherent problems and do what John has been unable so far to do.

Hello SY,

This is precisely what I have the intent to do ASAP... But, to be clear, it seems after some investigations on the Net, that other authors have described similar drivers, and these guys aren't really newbies in the domain. They assure that this is a good direction... Then, why not give a try ?

Cheers,

You otoh just tell us 'you're definitely wrong'.
Why don't you do us the courtesy of explaining why it is wrong?

jan

Well Sir, this is so for physical reasons that you, and probably others, have obviously ignored... The complex impedance of a voice-coil have a value dependent of the DC resistance and of its inductance L. While the first is independant of the frequency, this is not the case of the later... That is the physical reason.

But, don't take my word and please, do 2 things for you :
1-Buy a couple of good books on audio electronics. There are plenty !
2-Take several full-range drivers, then measure the impedance curve and amplitude-response curve of each. Find the conclusions by yourself...

There are some possibilities to circumvent such a drawback. But, I think it's to early to have a discussion together on this topic for now...

I don't think the complex impedance of the voice coil (or that of the actuator motor) is the primary problem of this loudspeaker...

But in fact it is the main factor of its behaviour ! Chances are that if its construction induces a low-pass filter, even with a near perfect diaphragm you'll not deal with a pretty full-range driver...

But perhaps you have another thing in mind. If it's the case, please, go ahead share it with us...

Especially because Jan is a publisher of electronics books and an editor of several electronics magazines. I'll bet he can get a discount!

If you take the assertion about tweeter inductance to its logical conclusion, a coil with perfectly conducting wire couldn't give you any HF output since it would be purely inductive.

I am assuming that English is not your native language and that you are unaware of how insulting this is. Don't hesitate to clarify.

I'm sorry if this sentence is insulting, for me it's a suggestion to the guy who asked to verify that my explanation is correct from the academical point of view.

Of course, please don't take it as an insult.

I confirm that English is far from my native language.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The complex impedance of a voice-coil have a value dependent of the DC resistance and of its inductance L. While the first is independant of the frequency, this is not the case of the later.

Yes this is true. And I am sure you can cite even more things that are true and that have no bearing on the physical issues that determine wheter this driver will 'work' or not.
Too bad, I thought you really had something there.

jan

My answer is the same that I wrote to SY... There are other similar
drivers suggested and built by guys who are sort of "genius" in the
area of professional audio...

Are you a genius in professional audio ?...

Hi,

There has never been anyone remotely resembling a genius
regarding audio development and there never ever will be.
(Clever yes, genius no, why? You work out the inevitable.)

Some far sighted types like Blumlein pre WW2
but unfortunately he didn't survive WW2.

You are in no position whatsoever to define "genius".

Genius's don't ignore schoolboy physics, they redefine them.

I suspect your are a victim of believing marketing speak
"trash talking" and "revolutionary developments" without
having any real clue as to the real obfuscation involved.

No I'm not a "genius in professional audio" but i can
guarantee I know shedloads more about the subject
than you do, if your going to resort to the argument
you don't know much so neither does anyone else,
IMO you have no real idea of what is expertise

Believe the "hype" if you want and "believe" all engineers
are full of the proverbial regarding audio if you like, but
when push comes to shove who would you prefer to
service the brakes on your car, me or a "genius".

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
it's mass, stiffness, and geometry.

OK, this will be my last post on the present thread. Look SY, your statement is simply untrue. For the incidence of the mass on the response curve, please do a very simple experiment : take a full-range driver, measure its frequency-response.

Then firmly glue some mass on the durst cap, the double or even the triple of the membrane mass for example. Do again the measure of the response curve.

You'll verify by yourself that both curves are very similar. The big difference will be... the amplitude of the response, i. e. the power output, but not definitely the frequency response...

Good bye and good luck to every one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.