Goodbye ! No more speakers with cones !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Other measurements

Planot
I could be wrong, but wouldn't there be very complex modal resonances off all sorts? Torsional, parametric, longitudinal etc with very serious decay/ringing problems? Could we see some other measurements too if you have them?

All driver designs have weaknesses and strengths. When I started building prototypes I ignored all of the potential issues that would cause my theories to fail.

Loudspeakers are ultimately about listening. The Planot driver sounds great; even my limited prototypes.

The only measurements I have disclosed are those on my Web site. The most skeptical engineers will never believe any measurements done by me. So, I am concentrating on producing more and better prototypes to take to RMAF and for reviewers as well as labs to evaluate.

My second prototype, P2, was tested by an independent, not for profit, testing laboratory to prove my basic claims of functionality. These test results as well as raw data are available to qualified manufacturers.

Please refer to my Web site for "data" about my products.

Thanks,
John

All driver designs have weaknesses and strengths. When I started building prototypes I ignored all of the potential issues that would cause my theories to fail.

Loudspeakers are ultimately about listening. The Planot driver sounds great; even my limited prototypes.

The only measurements I have disclosed are those on my Web site. The most skeptical engineers will never believe any measurements done by me. So, I am concentrating on producing more and better prototypes to take to RMAF and for reviewers as well as labs to evaluate.

My second prototype, P2, was tested by an independent, not for profit, testing laboratory to prove my basic claims of functionality. These test results as well as raw data are available to qualified manufacturers.

Please refer to my Web site for "data" about my products.

Thanks,
John

Loudspeaker measurements show that the reproducer is not in itself a musical instrument. Or an amusical instrument for that matter..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If John wants to hide the details of his invention from the prying eyes of the entire world, that's fine by me. I've signed NDA's that were far less interesting. It is nice that he wants to make it available to the DIY crowd. How often do you get to build a speaker that is really different?

I invite everyone in the Chicago area to attend the demonstration. I had to cancel the original demonstration because the machine shop I had been working with for almost a year (during the redesign phase) suddenly demanded five times as much money as I am currently paying, when I was ready to build the new motor.

When I started with the new machine shop they said that they could not execute my original design and so I had to go back and redesign and create new blueprints. Sooo, my friends at the Chicago Audio Society were gracious enough to agree to reschedule at a future date. If you are interested then please check back at my Web site or theirs.

I also have a tentative agreement from the Colorado Audio Society to present there but they have not gotten back to me with a date which as it turned out is OK because of the delay. If I had the funds this would have been completed YEARS ago. This is not an apology but an explanation of the difficulties you encounter when building anything let alone something different.

Thanks,

John

Some photos and frequency/polar plots would not convince me, but at least make me less skeptic...

As far as I can see, there's only one measurement on John's site, no conditions given, and clearly done by someone who had no idea how to use the measurement software.

At this point, it's vapor, but if John ends up actually demonstrating a prototype and puts up good measurements (in the sense of being competently performed with necessary conditions given), that will go a long way toward elevating his product from one of a million unproved ideas to something worth looking at.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.