Goodbye ! No more speakers with cones ! - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2012, 01:41 AM   #111
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

I spent about two years being absolutely fascinated with NXT. I would go to home depot specifically looking for different things to attach them to, and would spend hours listening to the results. Every time my brother would visit, I would show him my latest creation. After I got burned out on the subject, I found the carbon fiber Rohacell panels website. If only I had found it sooner. That is why the Planot captured my attention. Even though it's ultimately flawed (obvious), it's Fascinating.That's why were all bickering over it..

Last edited by Remlab; 4th August 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 4th August 2012, 02:27 AM   #112
ondesx is offline ondesx  France
diyAudio Member

To Remlab :
In certain aspects the rigidity is connected to Fc since the Young's module E appears in the equation... For NXT/BMR the rigidity and weight are important parameters, but there are several other like the way thé membrane is excited, the position of the actuators, the spectral distribution of the modes, etc...

It seems you are confused with NXT/BMR and bending waves. Again, the Planot in not a DML/BMR device since, at least for a certain frequency range, it doesn't require to use the "modes" of the "diaphragm". The remaining unknow is the possible added effect of bending waves for the highs... I'm checking this point.
Old 4th August 2012, 02:27 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

Interesting Rohacell data..
Rohacell ® Data | Page 1 of 1
Old 4th August 2012, 02:39 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondesx View Post
To Remlab :
In certain aspects the rigidity is connected to Fc since the Young's module E appears in the equation... For NXT/BMR the rigidity and weight are important parameters, but there are several other like the way thé membrane is excited, the position of the actuators, the spectral distribution of the modes, etc...

It seems you are confused with NXT/BMR and bending waves. Again, the Planot in not a DML/BMR device since, at least for a certain frequency range, it doesn't require to use the "modes" of the "diaphragm". The remaining unknow is the possible added effect of bending waves for the highs... I'm checking this point.
I do know the difference, but ultimately, they both take advantage of resonances to produce sound, while conventional diaphragms try to nullify them. That why I'm categorizing them together..
Old 4th August 2012, 03:12 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

My opinion of the Planot is the same as Sreten's, as far as pistonic, non resonant sound production is concerned..
Old 4th August 2012, 03:36 AM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
I do know the difference, but ultimately, they both take advantage of resonances to produce sound, while conventional diaphragms try to nullify them. That why I'm categorizing them together..
I'm afraid you are wrong. Bending waves aren't using resonance with the modes of the material the same way. The Walsh or the DDD are really different drivers. They avoid certain resonances instead and have different stiffnesses along their diaphragm. This isn't the case of the NXT/BMR membranes.

Other properties made these drivers different from each other, for example the way the sound radiates from the membrane or the way you use the actuator to stimulate the diaphragm.

But you have just to remember that the first group needs almost ALL the modes of the diaphragm, whereas the second group needs a Fc and avoid certain modes or frequencies of their diaphragm.

And to be complete, I think that you have to demonstrate and others too, that this device doesn't work!... In 1940 a guy derived on a blackboard that helicopters couldn't fly and 4 years after they were produced industrially...

Last edited by ondesx; 4th August 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 4th August 2012, 03:52 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondesx View Post
I'm afraid you are wrong. Bending waves aren't using resonance with the modes of the material the same way. The Walsh or the DDD are really different drivers. They avoid certain resonances instead and have different stiffnesses along their diaphragm. This isn't the case of the NXT/BMR membranes.

Other properties made these drivers different from each other, for example the way the sound radiates from the membrane or the way you use the actuator to stimulate the

But you have just to remember that the first group needs almost ALL the modes of the diaphragm, whereas the second group needs a Fc and avoid certain modes or frequencies of their diaphragm.

And to be complete, I think that you have to demonstrate and others too, that this device doesn't work!... In 1940 a guy derived on a blackboard that helicopters couldn't fly and 4 years after they were produced industrially...
Are you saying that DDD and Walsh drivers don't take advantage of resonances to produce sound at some frequencies? If I'm mistaken, I stand corrected..
As far as the planot goes, I'm talking about my intuition. It does not, from a traditional physics perspective, make sense to my brain. I hope I am wrong, because that would be cool..
Old 4th August 2012, 04:42 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

From my perspective, any transducer that takes advantage of resonances to produce sound in any part of the frequency spectrum is inherently flawed..
Old 4th August 2012, 09:09 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

I have also looked far and wide for any published measurements on Ohm Walsh or German Physiks speakers. Can't find anything. Hmm, I wonder why that is..
Old 4th August 2012, 10:15 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
From my perspective, any transducer that takes advantage of resonances to produce sound in any part of the frequency spectrum is inherently flawed..
That's precisely what I would check with this device... The best thing you can do to better understand the bending waves transducers like the Walsh or the DDD is to read the Walsh patent available as a pdf on the Net. If you fail to find it, I can give you its reference.

It seems you're in California. Do you had listen to one of the MAD drivers ?

Hide this!Advertise here!