Rare Opportunity - Acoustat Model 6 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th November 2012, 09:28 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Just on the AC voltage question;

"US mains voltage is regularly stated to be 110V, 115V, 117V and 120V. Various changes over the years have occurred, and the nominal voltage is supposed to be 120V. Don't be at all surprised if you measure any or all of the voltages quoted ... at the same wall outlet but at different times of the day! This is completely normal."
Old 25th November 2012, 09:38 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

I found a variac at work and am going to try it tonight.

If the speaker were designed to run on 110VAC/5KV, then 120VAC will produce 5.45KV instead of 5KV. However, the design should accept at least 10% of mains voltage variation as standard.

Having said all that, I'll try tonight to see the effects.

At some points, it will stop acring. (Below 5KV) However, it would also reduce the sensitivity of the speakers.
Old 25th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #43
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I added another Diode string on my Acoustat MK-121 interfaces to get over 6kv and have no arcing issues. It should not arc at 5kv or 6kv. Maybe at 7kv or 8kv you may arc...

The variac is more or less a check of your stepdown tranny, even if it was tested at 120vac.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:05 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

So the question is why the panels acr at 5 - 5.5 KV?

It does not acring all the time and at the same spot.
Old 25th November 2012, 10:30 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

I also need the service manual for the Acoustat Model 6 or similar circuit diagram, can anyone help?
Old 26th November 2012, 12:00 AM   #46
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Afaik the model 6 used two Mk-121 interfaces? So, same schematic as any Mk-121 interface. It's been posted here several times.

Again I ask what is the relative humidity in your area.
This will effect the tendency to have "discharges".

_-_-bear
Old 26th November 2012, 12:23 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

I had other esl speakers beofre and none of them had this issue. I'll have not check the humidity as yet.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:27 AM   #48
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Having owned several sets of Acoustats over many years I can say with certainty that under some humidity conditions I got light discharges. It went away when the humidity condition changed.

_-_-bear
Old 26th November 2012, 04:13 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

Relative humidity - 56% today.
Old 26th November 2012, 08:23 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

OK.
I did not use the variac since I do not believe the AC input voltage is an issue.

Finally I applied the heat-gun-fix and it worked! I found some winkles around the corners. The popping noise has stopped completely for the time being.

The next thing I am going to do is the modificatiion of the crossover circuit.

Hide this!Advertise here!