Rare Opportunity - Acoustat Model 6 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 11:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Finaly My Acoustat Model 6 turned up.

I connect them and they do work. However, there is an issue with both of them. (I am not sure if it is an issue)

I can hear a pop sometimes form the panels. (not just in one area) It does not seem to effect the sound that much, but you can hear it.

Is that normal due to the panels been discharged for more than a month now?

These speakers came from USA by sea and this may also contributed to the pops? It is like arcing over but hard to tell.

The origional owner never mentioned this before or after my purchase.

Can anybody offer some advise on this?
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the 3 panels on the top......are ran on one of the 121 interface..
find out what drives what.....one for top an one for bottem....open up 121 for the bottem panels an ck if the one of the driver feeds has feel off coming from the panels too the mixer board.... the wires that look like there comeing out of the two res. 50k 100w...the wire in the middel is for the bias feed..... if any of these wires are off....this well keep them from playing... In this pic theres NO wires..going to the panels but this is what the inside looks like.....good luck
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The arcing noise is there evne when the amp is switched off.

It is not the audio signal that caused this "pop" at all. I'll leave the panels charging for couple of days to see the results.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here a better pic....panel feeds wires...your mixer board should look the same...good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MK121-2a[1].jpg (164.6 KB, 154 views)
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:03 PM   #15
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

They may need a good vacuuming? Maybe something between the bias wires and the diaphragm?

tyu - do you have four panels driving off the 2 panel bass tap?

Actually, nevermind - the panels must be the newer panels with more wires, not the 3 wire panels...

Last edited by john65b; 22nd November 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:36 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I had some Acoustat panels that popped, but this went away after re-tensioning them with a heat gun.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:30 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I openned up all 4 transformers and they look the same as the image posted by the other member.

I did vacuuming on one side only and planned to do the other side this evening.

Heat gun fix - Can the member provide a bit more infomation on this?

The speakers were shipped from USA by sea. Will this contribute to the arcing?

I left the panels in charging all night and the situation has not improved in any way.

I'll post some images here tonight so that we can have a discussion.
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I have to add this the speakers working with great bass and high freq reproduction, except for the "pops" every 10-15 seceonds. (The pops are not very loud, nut you do notice and regardless if the amp is on or off)
Old 22nd November 2012, 08:42 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Heat Gun Solution;
1. Temp Wattage of the heat gun and estimated distance between the speaker and the gun?
2. Do I need to take the socks off or leave them when the heat gun fix is applied?
3. Duration of the heat application;
4. Single side operation or both sides required?

I ask these questions since I never done one before. The last thing I want it to happen is to burn a hole in the millde of the panel.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have had Acoustats for 35 years....i think that the panels have dust in them an this is what is poping ...it leting high V leek off ....In Shiping some dust moved around...
{So the Heat gun is last thing i would do!}...

If all elc fales then heat!........
If the panels are over headed it Can[ KiLL ]the panels!

.There are !000s of 30year old panel out here working fine that have never been heated.....you dont know that the panels need to be heated..
.But after 25 years i NO thay need to Have a good vacuuming or even a good washing......you well have to take the socks off to do this right...An pull the panels out to wash....An yes all ESL panels can be washed...there is 3 of the same panels you have in the tub....Look at the Crud in the water....You can see with oll that Crud off... the crud slows the sound down... the panels can sound new agin....Good luck

Here Is a LOT of INfo..... http://www.audiocircuit.com/Forum/El...tatic-Speakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AcoustatPanelsBathing[1].jpg (61.9 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by tyu; 22nd November 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!