diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Planars & Exotics (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/)
-   -   Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planars-exotics/214450-summer-project-replication-mbl-loudspeaker-101mkii.html)

Magnasanti 13th June 2012 09:11 PM

Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII

I have a good 2 months out of school and i decided to build a replication of the loudspeakers MBL 101 mkII. The monetary resources to build a clone at least parts of it are taken care of . The following are the complete information of construction regarding the MBL 101 mkII. This project is inspired by this thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plana...-replicas.html

CLASSIFIED

Additional Driver Info
The aluminum lamellas are a sandwich construction of two aluminum wedges held with epoxy resin Wrong. The petals are given 2 days to cool like airplane parts. layers of polyurethane foam are slapped on the back of each lamella to provide damping and additional mass. Each lamella is fitted with 2 thick reddish copper ''wires''. The wires are fitted into the vertical recesses of the petal. The wires add mass and an aesthetic beauty. The recesses of the driver are rolled and not stamped. The whole assembly rest on a cast aluminum plinth coated in automotive grade atracite metallic paint.

The sub woofer
The woofer is a 12" driver with a 4" voice coil. The voice coil is composed of black anodized aluminum that has a very low thermal resistance, approximately 1 K/W. This gives the system large power handling capability. The voice coil wire is also constructed of high temperature material able to withstand temperatures of up to 360¡C. The wire is glued with the same glue used in the fabrication of motorcycle brakes, and is able to withstand a temperature of 260¡C. As a result, it is almost impossible to destroy the speaker. The air gap is 10 mm high and the moving coil has a winding width of 24 mm. Thus, the speaker possesses an extremely high linear throw, with a maximum of 14-mm peak to peak. The maximum mechanical throw is two times greater -- 28 mm maximum peak to peak.
For this i hope to substitute for this driver
TC Sounds Axis 12Q1 12" Quad VC Subwoofer 293-638

The cabinet :
Material - MDF
Material thickness - 30mm (1.25")
Port Holes - 2 inches in Diameter

Additional cabinet info
the cabinet has rectangular cross configuration to both stabilize the walls and hold the magnet with polyurethane supports.

specifications:
Crossover frequencies: 105Hz, 600Hz, 3.5kHz (Linkwitz-Riley, fourth-order). Acoustic center: 45" (1140mm) from floor. Frequency range: 24Hz–40kHz. Sensitivity: 81dB/2.83V/m. Nominal impedance: 4 ohms. Power handling: 320–500W continuous, 2.2kW peak.

Right now i am hopping to simply replicate the mid-range and used them as my stereo setup and as research and design along with resources progress the replication of the other 2 drivers will begin. I am learning to use Femm so that i can design and build the magnetic circuit for the mid range.The processes for building the mid range will hopefully be done in parts such as

Step 1 : Magnetic circuit fully designed and optimized in femm

Step 2 : ferrofluid properties such as viscosity,heat tolerance,and Gauss rating can then be calculated

Step 3 : Carbon fiber baking methods can be R&D

Please tell me your thoughts on such a project

Magnasanti 13th June 2012 09:25 PM

Pictures shedding light on Speaker construction

1 Attachment(s)
The Tweeter

Magnasanti 13th June 2012 09:29 PM

The mid-range

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the mid-range driver naked

Magnasanti 13th June 2012 09:31 PM

The Melon

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the Melon naked

Magnasanti 13th June 2012 09:40 PM

Additional pics

9 Attachment(s)
Additional pictures that weren't able to be put into the other post due to attachment limits.

studiotech 14th June 2012 03:30 AM

I think Seth's head just exploded! :D

So, you are planning to replicate the entire thing? Not outsourcing any parts of it? Hope you don't require much sleep, cause summer break is not a long time to get this worked out.

Greg

Remlab 14th June 2012 05:12 AM

My head just exploded..

Remlab 14th June 2012 01:09 PM

I had my say in the other thread. I'm staying neutral from here on out. Good luck
with your incredible project!

Magnasanti 14th June 2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by studiotech (Post 3058889)
I think Seth's head just exploded! :D

So, you are planning to replicate the entire thing? Not outsourcing any parts of it? Hope you don't require much sleep, cause summer break is not a long time to get this worked out.

Greg

Well my goal for this summer break is to at least get the mid-range driver completed. I don't think i will be needing to out source many of the parts, Since I have a friend with a high grade cnc machine at his disposal. Although yes the end goal is to have replicated the entire thing.

Magnasanti 17th June 2012 09:48 PM

Mbl Magnetic circuit

I know this is going to sound silly, but can anyone tell me how the drivers work. If you look at the naked pictures of both the mid and tweeter there's only 2 pieces of materiel.
The only speaker motor that i know of is a sandwich construction. with either a overhung or under-hung topology.tihe the mbl the v-c looks to be literally standing on the magnetic motor structure. Anyone got any ideas?