Summer Project - Replication of MBL loudspeaker 101mkII - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2012, 03:43 PM   #21
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
That low sensitivity of these would improve if the motor was at the top pushing down rather than trying to pulse upward? Would it not?
I listened to these at our recent Newport highend show here in California and they are quite impressive.

Regards
David

Should not make any difference - you can build a single section and merely flip it upside down, thought experiment, any difference?

I think they play the same in Australia too!

_-_-bear
Old 24th June 2012, 03:51 PM   #22
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Old 24th June 2012, 04:17 PM   #23
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnasanti View Post
LOTS of sites AND brochures as well from review sites they took along time to get. I could however point you in a general direction. Try searching for jurgen reis mbl (IMAGE), and a good one is mbl 101 PDF.Ill provide some links anyway it would be a pain in the **** to go find every pic again through the web so here are some links. https://www.google.com/search?q=mbl+...w=1280&bih=601
Thank you. Jurgen Reis keywords helped..
Old 29th June 2012, 04:24 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Magnasanti
Default New info/Images

I searched a little more and was able to find this site could anyone translate?

Welcome to Adobe GoLive 4

Progress is well progressing but i went into this project not even knowing what a former ( bobbin) was. I have learned a lot and am well on my way to designing the motor structure.

Images found on the site listed above
Attached Images
File Type: gif MBL naked all.gif (21.2 KB, 302 views)
File Type: gif Mbl SUB inclousre naked.gif (17.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: gif mbl sub naked.gif (34.3 KB, 299 views)
File Type: gif Mbl melon parts.gif (37.6 KB, 295 views)
File Type: gif Mbl head cut off.gif (31.7 KB, 294 views)
Old 29th June 2012, 11:12 PM   #25
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Sure:

Google Translate
Old 29th June 2012, 11:16 PM   #26
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Btw, if I was doing the project, I would start by taking an existing speaker and excising the cone and the dustcap, leaving the spider, VC and magnet structure, brewing up some sort of mounting arrangement for the petals, and trying a quick and dirty version before committing to a complicated and expensive build... make sure you can get it to sort of work.

_-_-bear
Old 30th June 2012, 05:13 PM   #27
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Btw, if I was doing the project, I would start by taking an existing speaker and excising the cone and the dustcap, leaving the spider, VC and magnet structure, brewing up some sort of mounting arrangement for the petals, and trying a quick and dirty version before committing to a complicated and expensive build... make sure you can get it to sort of work.

_-_-bear
But first, a die cutter needs to be fabricated to cut the aluminum petals to the perfect shape. Then a corrugating rolling press needs to fabricated to roll them into the perfect curve with perfectly formed corrugations. The petals are easy to make. It's the die and press used to make them that are difficult to fabricate (extremely).Only then he can can attempt the next (dirty) step. If he can do this, I am confident that he has the will and the means to do the rest, regardless of how it sounds at the end of the process..

Last edited by Remlab; 30th June 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 1st July 2012, 05:09 AM   #28
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Dunno the google translation was plenty good enough for me... otoh I can sort of read the French, not quite well enough to get all the subtle details but to get the idea... whatever.

There are other online translations available too, so maybe a composite mental assembly after reading them all will fill the gaps?

_-_-bear
Old 1st July 2012, 06:49 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Dunno the google translation was plenty good enough for me... otoh I can sort of read the French, not quite well enough to get all the subtle details but to get the idea... whatever.

There are other online translations available too, so maybe a composite mental assembly after reading them all will fill the gaps?

_-_-bear
Thanks for the translation btw first time i found out about the whole web translation.
I know enough about how the whole speakers work. I just need to get the specifics down. I kinda doubt theres any more information out there that i havent already comsumed either through text or detailed pictures. I think now its just about engineering my own drivers . But i will be taking your wise advice to build a dirty mid-range and getting it to sound "right".
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:25 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Areczek finished speakers

pictures of areczek's finished Mbl clones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mbl areczek.jpg (195.2 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 1493732_1.jpg (199.6 KB, 230 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!