Martin Logan Sequel ii upgrade - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2012, 03:33 PM   #11
AndreaT is offline AndreaT  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi Markosolo,

I suggest you to try to fix the problem correcting the Sequel II in-room response and phase alignement and improving the passive xover phase match by the mean of an external SW based DSP.

I suggest you to use the Thuneau Frequency Allocator and Phase Arbitrator (shortly called Allocator).
Natively it is a digital Xover, but if set just 1-way (no Xover at all) it becomes an outstanding system equalizer and phase adjuster for both the analo Xover and the 2-way loudspeakers.

I felt your same issue and I definitively fixed the problem last year moving to a full DSP based Xover and adding also a DRC subsystem and a 18" active subwoofer.

Regards, Andrea
Old 17th August 2012, 12:28 AM   #12
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Frommerstop
Instead of saying they like power, a more accurate statement would be wicked load independant of their relative efficiency.
Many amps that sound great on other speakers get weak knees with these hooked up to them.
Real nasty load

Regards
David
Old 18th August 2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaT View Post
Hi Markosolo,

I suggest you to try to fix the problem correcting the Sequel II in-room response and phase alignement and improving the passive xover phase match by the mean of an external SW based DSP.

I suggest you to use the Thuneau Frequency Allocator and Phase Arbitrator (shortly called Allocator).
Natively it is a digital Xover, but if set just 1-way (no Xover at all) it becomes an outstanding system equalizer and phase adjuster for both the analo Xover and the 2-way loudspeakers.

I felt your same issue and I definitively fixed the problem last year moving to a full DSP based Xover and adding also a DRC subsystem and a 18" active subwoofer.

Regards, Andrea
This is far beyond the scope of a home DIY. How will you ajust the filter characteristic. That is not possible for the average DIY. Besides that DSP gives a lot of other problems since you have to use A/D and D/A cobnverters which gives a lot of problems when its not done properly. hear the difference between a good CD versus a cheap CD and or a High End CD player versus a cheap CD player
Old 19th August 2012, 02:40 PM   #14
AndreaT is offline AndreaT  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello Liching,

you are right! I am sorry, I misunderstood the original post of Markosolo believing him to be going to put a DSP in its audio chain.

If this is not the case of Markosolo, I don't know any other (easy) working solution.
I have a pair of Sequel II operating since 1991 and since I didn't add a smart active sub (in 2006) I always suffered some bass issues, as well as I couldn't do anything good on the woofer response correction.
Moreover, its it known that the Sequel II have a poor woofer-ES_panel time alignement: an error of about 1.4 ms is present (my measurement).

Only when I finally removed the original analog filter and driven all directly by DSP and multi-ampli systems, I could finally perfectly time align the panels to the woofers and, definitively, the sub along.

Regards, Andrea.

Last edited by AndreaT; 19th August 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!