Meitner MTR-101 and Quad ESL-57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Meitner MTR-101 and Quad ESL-57

Hello all. I wanted to ask for some advice, as I own such beautiful amps, and I wanted to know if I can mod them at all to drive Quad ESL57 perfectly.
From what I have gathered, the Quads can't be fed over about 25-30W or the panels would arc and die. At the same time the amp needs to be powerful enough (current) to drive a load that varies between 1.5-35 Ohm.
I have been adviced on Bedini 25/25, as it is biased deeply into Class A.
I'd want to know how Meitner MTR-101 (100 + 100 W monoblocks) would fare with the Quad's, as I already own this amplifier.
Would there need to be a protection circuit installed? If so, what exactly, and how would it impact Quad's sound quality, if at all?
Would the MTR-101 even be transparent enough, compared to said Bedini?

Thanks for helping!!
Tony
Old 3rd June 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Use of the protection boards is always the way to go if you want safety of those mid/tw
Then you can use any thing you want. Have played them with every kind of high powered amp with no issues at all and the boards show no signs of stress and no arcing!

You can build them for little dollars with a search for the schematic

Regards
David
Old 11th June 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I suggest you take a look at this smart device from ESL labs/NL:
Quad ESL protection (clamp) board
Apart from a F5 I also have an OTL (that can easily set the ESL to arc), so it is one of my future projects as well.
Old 11th June 2012, 03:40 PM   #4
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

After hearing ESL57's rebuilt by Picquet I can tell you they can drive to very dynamic levels with no issues ..

If yours are original I would look into having them rebuilt before Doing anything else , 57's do need an amplifier with low impedance stability for the top end to shine , nothing wrong with powering them with 100 watts/ch @8ohm..

I have seen more used with no arcing issues , with Dynamics and Spl 's unheard off before by 57's....

Regards ,

Last edited by a.wayne; 11th June 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 14th June 2012, 01:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks all, guys. Would the MTR-101's provide enough stability at those low impedances? Could it be modded to obtain better performances, without shipping it overseas to Museatex?
Old 14th June 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
The 100W stereo models i'd be scared to use with just any ESL, but the monoblocks have been hooked up to anything from scary Apogees, to Martin Logans and Quads.

A Quad ESL refurbisher overhere used the Meitner monaurals for his artwork, and his own development, the ESl65 : Audio 4 elektrostaten
Old 14th June 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tony: at the time that the MTR amp was being born Ed Meitner's reference speakers were Acoustat 2+2's the same holds true for the STR 50 and 55. While it is not commonly known Ed did a lot of R&D work on the segmented Acoustat speakers, Ed and Jim Strickland are good friends. Best regards Moray James.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Quad ESL 57 protection circuit board query?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVWERK View Post
Use of the protection boards is always the way to go if you want safety of those mid/tw
Then you can use any thing you want. Have played them with every kind of high powered amp with no issues at all and the boards show no signs of stress and no arcing!

You can build them for little dollars with a search for the schematic

Regards
David
Sorry to bump this thread but I wondered if you could give me a bit more detail about Quad ESL 57 protection boards. I have seen these referred to as "clamp boards". What exactly do they consist of and where might I find a schematic for them?

I have Googled and all I seem to find are suppliers who seem to charge rather a lot for something which may be pretty straightforward to build. Before splashing out, I would like to know what exactly I am getting.

Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Google Sheldon Stokes

Look for Quad protection

Regards
David
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Some say it affects the sonics and they may be right. However it was a long interval between reduing mine and actually getting down to comparing anything. I used Quads boards since I purchased them a long time ago when they were cheap.
You convince yourself its better to be safe then getting a smaller amp you know will swing a lower voltage than just putting anything bigger on them and letting it rip like me.

I have a second pair I will be reworking and maybe I will try it without just to find out.
Although I,m not suffering as of now

Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!