Increase ESL perforated panels hole size...??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2012, 07:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Increase ESL perforated panels hole size...???

Has anyone tried increasing the open area spacing perforated steel to 79/80%. I would imagine this is may be less desirable than the 51% suggested.

I have been using 18 Gauge, 9/64" Holes on 3/16" Centers, Staggered Pattern,
51% Open Area, for a considerable time now. It would be nice to build my next panels using the honey comb looking perf 16 gauge steel mainly because it would look much nicer, but I don't know if it would cause a substantial loss in sound quality in comparison from the 3/16 hole size 51% open area, to that of 1/4" hole size 70% open area utilizing a .062 spacing/ 1.6mm.

Thanks,
Doc
Old 7th May 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochungwell View Post
Has anyone tried increasing the open area spacing perforated steel to 79/80%. I would imagine this is may be less desirable than the 51% suggested.

...I don't know if it would cause a substantial loss in sound quality...

I'm not sure about the difference in sound quality, but you will probably loose 2db - 3dB in output based on tests results posted here:
Acoustat Answer Man is here
Old 8th May 2012, 01:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bolserst, I don't think 2-3db will be that significant. I thought that with the reduced amount of metal there would be a decrease in the electrostatic field from the stators.
Old 8th May 2012, 02:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

That was the idea that originally led me to use a wire mesh, besides cost.
I was going to use some 1/8" spacing wire mesh but I never got any and now it is very hard to source,But some 1/4 stuff can be had at the hardware store and I plan on giving it a try some time.

There may be a bit of loss but I think that it can be compensated for by using higher voltages, maybe.

I believe we had a discussion on this a while back and there was some one whom has used it and posted pictures of their panels and they did look very nice.
I believe that they did say that there was a bit of drop in sensitivity.
It is to bad that a higher open area with smaller holes is not really available.

Stuff that has been mentioned can be had but at a cost and it is not a common material usually.

FWIW

jer
Old 8th May 2012, 02:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've tried it before.

Click the image to open in full size.

To me, I like them very much. The sound is more open to my ears. However, they are not so strong, and you will need to make some reinforcement.

Wachara C.
Old 8th May 2012, 02:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

This is how they look like.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wachara C.
Old 8th May 2012, 03:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I thought it was you Wachara.
It has been a while since that discussion.

Thanks for chiming in!!!
Cheers!!
jer
Old 8th May 2012, 03:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, that's the image I thought I saw at some point! I agree the slight loss can be compensated by increasing the voltage variably....That is why I keep waffling...LOL

BTW..I found that in 16 gauge, do you think it may be a pain to work with, or too flimsy?

I am looking for a perforated sheet that is more visibly and perhaps audibly transparent.

Thanks gentlemen for you input, it is always very
helpful!!!
Old 8th May 2012, 03:48 PM   #9
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the pic an post.....more open has to sound better...but less output...means more bias...
what would the SPL be?
Old 8th May 2012, 04:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
...more open has to sound better...but less output...means more bias...
There certainly are conflicting design issues.
One more thing to consider, when you use stators with particularly large open areas(>75%?) the diaphragm will no longer be driven with uniform force over the whole area. The areas in the middle of the stator hole openings will not be driven with nearly as much force as the areas around the stator holes. I don't know what affect this may have on sound quality, as I haven't done the comparison. Just something to consider...

Hide this!Advertise here!