BG Neo 3 Headphone project - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 09:18 PM   #81
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

The designer of the neo3 also thinks it can be done. It's just a matter of precisely balancing (And getting to know)all of the variables involved. Good luck! I was hoping someone who had already invested in the Neo3's would take this project up and continue where I left off..

Last edited by Remlab; 2nd December 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 09:48 PM   #82
Speakerholic
diyAudio Member

It looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me! I tend to be very good at this type of thing once I have a solid grasp of all the concepts involved. I think I can do it. If the designer thinks it can be done I am all the more encouraged. I noticed you didn't post very many images, Remlab. Would there be any way I could get a few pictures of your work and/or tips that could give me a head start? I'd be grateful. I've repaired a few, but I've never modded a headphone before.

David
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:29 PM   #83
diyAudio Member

The most critical aspect of this project, in my opinion, is figuring out a way to get the HRTF correct. That means getting the response to peak at least 10db at 3khz relative to 1khz. Something I never tried but would be useful would be to shape the HRTF response with a dsp eq and see how it sounds. Here is a website that I found very educational and incredibly useful(After the fact).
Golden Ears -Truthful review based on measured data (Earphones, Headphones, Speakers, Mobile, DACs, Amplifiers)
It also touches on some philosophical aspects of equalizing headphones. The apple app sells for only $5.00(Accudio) and has an excellent 10 band parametric eq included. With this app, you can shape the response any way you want. It will make the Neo3 headphones work perfectly for only $5.00!
You do have to use their music player(Part of the app) to make it work though. The player can also play hi rez flac files on apple devices.

Last edited by Remlab; 2nd December 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 11:14 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
The most critical aspect of this project, in my opinion, is figuring out a way to get the HRTF correct. That means getting the response to peak at least 10db at 3khz relative to 1khz. Something I never tried but would be useful would be to shape the HRTF response with a dsp eq and see how it sounds. Here is a website that I found very educational and incredibly useful(After the fact).
Golden Ears -Truthful review based on measured data (Earphones, Headphones, Speakers, Mobile, DACs, Amplifiers)
It also touches on some philosophical aspects of equalizing headphones. The apple app sells for only $5.00(Accudio) and has an excellent 10 band parametric eq included. With this app, you can shape the response any way you want. It will make the Neo3 headphones work perfectly for only $5.00!
You do have to use their music player(Part of the app) to make it work though. The player can also play hi rez flac files on apple devices.
I should have said that it could "possibly" make them work perfectly, since the word "perfect" in the world of Hi Fi has the potential of being totally subjective..

Last edited by Remlab; 2nd December 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 01:24 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Super gluing 2 properly sized (inner radius) black painted hex nuts (paint after gluing. Also scratch the paint off the neo 3's at the glue site.)would work well to fasten the yoke to the Neo 3's if you wanted to take the totally "bare" approach. You can then try different things with the back opening that hopefully won't interfere with the movement of the yoke.

Last edited by Remlab; 3rd December 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:04 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Cool to see that you're back at it.

I agree 100% RE the HRTFs. If you're playing via PC you have absolute control, of course. Making a little in ear mic from a Panasonic WM61a is worth it many times over when you start playing with headphones.

If I were converting the Neo3 to a headphone driver I think that I would try to damp it as a little as possible and then use as minimal earpads as you can while still having an extended bass response. The more open you make headphones the more natural they can sound, I think. My brain falls for the illusion better.
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:01 AM   #87
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEdwards View Post
Cool to see that you're back at it.

I agree 100% RE the HRTFs. If you're playing via PC you have absolute control, of course. Making a little in ear mic from a Panasonic WM61a is worth it many times over when you start playing with headphones.

If I were converting the Neo3 to a headphone driver I think that I would try to damp it as a little as possible and then use as minimal earpads as you can while still having an extended bass response. The more open you make headphones the more natural they can sound, I think. My brain falls for the illusion better.
Ok, I bought 2 Panasonic WM61a's from digikey for $3.50 . Ill give it another shot..
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:20 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

For those not familiar with the "free field" HRTF curve..
http://www.ap.com/images/audio.tst/2010/07/pinnae.png
Believe it or not, This is how headphones have to measure in order to sound somewhat similar to flat measuring loudspeakers in a room from about 500 hz and up..

Last edited by Remlab; 3rd December 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:32 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

With a stout driver like the Neo3 you can do a neat trick and use it both as the measurement speaker for your HRTFs and the playback device. Since it can reach down to 1kHz in a little horn (at moderate SPL) you can place the mic at 1 m or so, make a measurement in REW, and use that as a calibration curve for measuring your HRTFs. The combined response from the driver and mic are subtracted away.

You can also get a handle on your diffuse field EQ (with frontal bias) if you play a fairly omni speaker in front of you and use a wide gating window for the HRTF measurement. Reflections come from lots of directions then.

Hurray for free software!
Old 6th December 2012, 12:45 AM   #90
diyAudio Member

Just recieved my WM61a's. Tiny little little buggers, ain't they?

Hide this!Advertise here!