BG Neo 3 Headphone project - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2012, 09:56 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
A bit....

Still not a great idea for a publication to get basically "the planar guy" to do the article. Doesn't pass the smell test if you catch my drift.

Just playing devils advocate, because obviously, I love his work.

Greg
Old 16th July 2012, 11:04 PM   #72
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Greg
I was just trying to be funny. One subjective article followed by another, less, but still subjective article. You have to admit though, that writing for a peer reviewed magazine is different than writing for your own website..
Seth

Last edited by Remlab; 16th July 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 12:17 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Greg
I was just trying to be funny. One subjective article followed by another, less, but still subjective article. You have to admit though, that writing for a peer reviewed magazine is different than writing for your own website..
Seth
OK, you got me...
Old 17th July 2012, 06:06 PM   #74
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thx, I will read it as soon as I have time .
Nevertheless, I have to admit that I've desperately fallen in love with TRUE ribbon tweeters , and I only have a "cheap" true ribbon tweeter (fountek neocd 3.0). I wonder how subjective I am myself, but even when I go to hi-fi shows, the speakers that impress me the most are true ribbon ones .

Edit: didn't want to read everything in the end . What I can say, is that though true ribbon tweeters are fragile, raal ribbon (in particular the OEM version) is absolutely not, but it can compete with some of the best 1'' dome from this point of view too. My fountek for instance is crossed at 3.2k with a 3d order .

Last edited by Cyan; 17th July 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 17th July 2012, 09:23 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
Thx, I will read it as soon as I have time .
Nevertheless, I have to admit that I've desperately fallen in love with TRUE ribbon tweeters , and I only have a "cheap" true ribbon tweeter (fountek neocd 3.0). I wonder how subjective I am myself, but even when I go to hi-fi shows, the speakers that impress me the most are true ribbon ones .

Edit: didn't want to read everything in the end . What I can say, is that though true ribbon tweeters are fragile, raal ribbon (in particular the OEM version) is absolutely not, but it can compete with some of the best 1'' dome from this point of view too. My fountek for instance is crossed at 3.2k with a 3d order .
Not only are a lot of true ribbons beautiful sounding, But most are also beautiful looking. Ribbons are easily the most 'high end' looking of any driver.
Unlike a good ribbon though, a good dome can easily do 1.5khz with a 3rd order, and a Neo 3 can do it with a 4th..
Old 18th July 2012, 03:23 PM   #76
Cyan is offline Cyan  Italy
diyAudio Member

Planars do have indeed tremendous resistance and power capabilities. The raal ribbons will work up to 200mw on average (according to the white paper). The audeze lcd-2 (planar) can sustain 15w, for at least 130db sustained .
Nevertheless, the audeze lcd-2's dynamics seemed compressed, just like it is explained on the raal headphones white paper.
Old 20th August 2012, 08:00 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Having too much bass in a planar headphone is usually an alright place to be, no? If you didn't believe in damping, couldn't you try A) Venting the pleather pads you currently have if they aren't vented already, B) Use velour pads instead, and/or C) Add reflex segments to the back magnet structures such as what's seen on the EAH-820?

Cool project, btw.
Old 20th August 2012, 08:57 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

No matter what I tried(And believe me, I tried) I couldn't get the 3khz range up to where it needed to be(Very dull sounding), in order to compensate for the HRTF. It could be that it was the PDR that was causing the problem. The regular Neo 3 just might work, but it would still be too heavy for normal headphone use..

Last edited by Remlab; 20th August 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:14 AM   #79
diyAudio Member

Here is the Audeze LCD3. the bottom (gray) curve is how a good planar headphone should measure, in order to sound like the (perceived, colored)top curve. The actual measured response of the Neo 3 headphones looks more similar to the top curve. Not a good thing.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/...5circa2012.pdf

Last edited by Remlab; 20th August 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 2nd December 2012, 07:42 PM   #80
Speakerholic
diyAudio Member

What an interesting thread!
I have a pair of Neo3 PRDW's which were at the time of reading this thread just lying around. So, I popped the back off, pressed them against my ears and was very impressed with the sound... After some playing. As it has already been pointed out, positioning matters immensely. I found if I squeezed them against my head as tightly as my ears would allow, they would produce relativity deep bass response. Beyond that, various levels of pressure/distance from my ears as well as vertical and horizontal placement would produce surprisingly different results with minimal variations. I've ordered a pair of the monoprice headphones aforementioned. I look forward to further experimenting!

Hide this!Advertise here!