BG Neo 3 Headphone project - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2012, 07:27 AM   #21
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

The Different impedance taps allow a user to get the most wattage possible in a given situation. A 16 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm taps on my amp will get you 50 watts. A 16 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm taps will get you better amplifier performance, but with way less wattage. A 4 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm taps will get you 50 watts, but a 4 ohm speaker into 16 ohm taps will get you pure unadulterated crap..If your lucky.. So, in my case, 50 purely resistive ohms into the 4 ohm taps should get a relatively tiny amount of wattage, but excellent performance, and by the sound of the Neo 3's, I am..
Here is an example. Not my amp, but somewhat similar in that it is an ultralinear. Look at figures 6 through 8..
http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...r-measurements

Last edited by Remlab; 3rd May 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:38 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I can't wait to see where this goes. Are you able to measure the in-ear response? I've had great success with Panasonic capsules when it comes to tuning my Fostex T50rps. If you can get the FR flat to a bit above 1 kHz you can start manipulating the high frequencies on the ear side with various fabrics etc.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:40 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Also very interested.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
That looks like a rather tight fit with the earpads. I think you might want to tape off the driver openings and grind down the corners to a more round profile. Are you attempting to use any part of the original ear cup ,or just mount the neo3 as naked as possible to the headband? The headband looks like it is quite narrow in its relaxed, normal position. I hate headbands that pinch and put a lot of pressure on the wearers head. My AKG 501 are great for long term comfort. Very little inward pressure and very lights cans.

Greg
I am going to tape off the vents, and file down the corners. The vinyl will probably rip if I don't. I am going to go naked with the phones, mainly to keep the weight as low as possible. I ordered 4 tiny rectangular aluminum bars that are 2" x 1/2" x 1/4". They will be attached with superglue to each side of the Neo's right next to the vents where it is flat. Holes will centered in the middle of each bar's 1/2" width to connect to the yoke. As far as the headband goes, It is very narrow, but also very flexible. No pressure when I wore them..
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:12 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEdwards View Post
I can't wait to see where this goes. Are you able to measure the in-ear response? I've had great success with Panasonic capsules when it comes to tuning my Fostex T50rps. If you can get the FR flat to a bit above 1 kHz you can start manipulating the high frequencies on the ear side with various fabrics etc.
I will probably send them to Tyll Herstens of Innerfidelity for testing. He has a $20,000 dummy head with all the gear.
Resources | InnerFidelity
Where can I get those capsules? It would be nice to do some preliminary testing before I embarrass myself..
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:40 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I bought mine from ebay for about $2 each. Panasonic WM61a. They are very flat up to about 10 kHz, which is about where the positioning error becomes significant anyway.

You can get great results from these without a preamp, even. Headphones are easier to measure than speakers because you have the mic so close and you very easily get a good SNR. Tyll's setup has a lot going for it. But the limited factor is the same in both cases - placing the headphones on the head consistently.

Here's an example of my AD700s measured in ear using REW without any preamp in the chain and without bothering to average out measurements/deal with ambient noise.
Click the image to open in full size.

You don't need better precision than this, in my opinion. Besides, you want to know how it behaves on your head, not the dummy head.

I'm symphonic over at HeadFi, btw. I'd be happy to help you get setup, esp. if you're in Europe.
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:08 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

This looks like an awersome project! Keep at it and let us know how it comes out

Posting some pics would be awesome too
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:23 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEdwards View Post
I bought mine from ebay for about $2 each. Panasonic WM61a. They are very flat up to about 10 kHz, which is about where the positioning error becomes significant anyway.

You can get great results from these without a preamp, even. Headphones are easier to measure than speakers because you have the mic so close and you very easily get a good SNR. Tyll's setup has a lot going for it. But the limited factor is the same in both cases - placing the headphones on the head consistently.

Here's an example of my AD700s measured in ear using REW without any preamp in the chain and without bothering to average out measurements/deal with ambient noise.
Click the image to open in full size.

You don't need better precision than this, in my opinion. Besides, you want to know how it behaves on your head, not the dummy head.

I'm symphonic over at HeadFi, btw. I'd be happy to help you get setup, esp. if you're in Europe.
I agree with your "accuracy" statement. Once you attain a certain tolerance, It becomes a purely subjective experience. I do think that square wave and hd perfomance is very important though.
Old 4th May 2012, 12:43 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

I have to include that my only experience with high end phones is with Ety er4p's( Also Grado SR125's). A drastically different subjective experience than with over the ear, open backed phones.
One of the things I have noticed is that the air volume between the cups and your head has a profound effect on the the tuning of the planar magnetic diaphragm. A large air mass makes the diaphragm too loose and resonant and a smaller air mass makes it too tight and restricted, like it would in an acoustic suspension speaker, but in this case, your head is inside of the "speaker cabinet" instead of on the outside.. This is starting to get complicated...

Last edited by Remlab; 4th May 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 4th May 2012, 01:52 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
I agree with your "accuracy" statement. Once you attain a certain tolerance, It becomes a purely subjective experience. I do think that square wave and hd perfomance is very important though.
Here are the Innerfidelity measurements of the AD700s. Interesting comparison..
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/...caATHAD700.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!