BG Neo 3 Headphone project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
LOL! Perfect! Maybe us "pencilheads" have something predisposed to like planar drivers...

Greg
I'm also narrow minded. I wonder if there's a connection?
Old 30th April 2012, 02:18 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
I have the Neo 3PDR's. If they are too subdued in the highs because of their inherent design characteristics, someone with the regular Neo 3's could be of help with this experiment..
Mine are the non-pdr, BUT they are a special automotive version, so they are 4 ohms. This is REALLY pushing it for a standard headphone amp. Whatever you choose, will need to have some real cajones to drive either version. Might be better off using a small, low wattage T-amp.
Old 30th April 2012, 02:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Mine are the non-pdr, BUT they are a special automotive version, so they are 4 ohms. This is REALLY pushing it for a standard headphone amp. Whatever you choose, will need to have some real cajones to drive either version. Might be better off using a small, low wattage T-amp.
I love the sound of the T-amp. It would be perfect...
Old 30th April 2012, 05:14 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I purchased Two 20w 40ohm resistors to try with my CJ MV50 tube amp..
Seth
Old 1st May 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Greg
I got the Monoprice headphones today. Outstanding fit. They are also very easy to take apart and modify... This is going to be fun!
I have my T-amp ready for action in battery mode. It is very reactive into high impedance loads(the Neo 3's in my current funky headphone setup sound way better with 40 ohm resistors in series with this little amp), similar to a single ended triode amplifier. This could actually be helpful in this particular situation..
http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...r-measurements

Last edited by Remlab; 1st May 2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:26 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Really good news.. The Monoprice headphone pads fit perfectly over the Neo 3 frames. Almost like they were made for them. I had to be careful slipping them over the corners. It's a good idea to gently stretch them out before fitting, to avoid ripping the vinyl.
I hooked them up to my tube amp's 4 ohm tap with 20 watt 40 ohm resistors in series with the Neo 3's and listened. All I can say is that they sound WAY better than I ever thought they would. Everything seems to be in perfect balance and extremely musical, and the Bass sounds flat and ultra clean. This was done by pressing the Neo 3's up to my ears with the ear pads attached while laying down on the couch and listening to several acoustic and electric Al Di Meola tracks and some Diana Krall.
(My hands and fingers were to the sides of the diaphragms while pressing). The next step is to make a frame for the Neo 3's so I can attach them to the yokes of the Monoprices. Neo 3's are heavy for use in headphones, so I hope they can be pressed against the ear the way they should be after assembly. The tube amp sounds so good with them, that I probably won't go the plug route. That approach probably wouldn't work anyway unless I had a good powerful headphone amp. Here's some pictures
Pictures by remlab - Photobucket

Last edited by Remlab; 2nd May 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Greg
I got the Monoprice headphones today. Outstanding fit. They are also very easy to take apart and modify... This is going to be fun!
I have my T-amp ready for action in battery mode. It is very reactive into high impedance loads(the Neo 3's in my current funky headphone setup sound way better with 40 ohm resistors in series with this little amp), similar to a single ended triode amplifier. This could actually be helpful in this particular situation..
Sonic Impact Model TA2024 Super T power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com
OK, so how does this relate to your use of 40 Ohm resistors in line with the Neo3? I see Stereophile measured with 2, 4, and 8 Ohm loads....

Curious as to the results with a much higher than normal load on an output meant to driver speakers. The tube amp might become very non-linear as well. Do you have 16 Ohm taps on the amp?

Greg
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:34 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Really good news.. The Monoprice headphone pads fit perfectly over the Neo 3 frames. Almost like they were made for them. I had to be careful slipping them over the corners. It's a good idea to gently stretch them out before fitting, to avoid ripping the vinyl.
I hooked them up to my tube amp's 4 ohm tap with 20 watt 40 ohm resistors in series with the Neo 3's and listened. All I can say is that they sound WAY better than I ever thought they would. Everything seems to be in perfect balance and extremely musical, and the Bass sounds flat and ultra clean. This was done by pressing the Neo 3's up to my ears with the ear pads attached while laying down on the couch and listening to several acoustic and electric Al Di Meola tracks and some Diana Krall.
(My hands and fingers were to the sides of the diaphragms while pressing). The next step is to make a frame for the Neo 3's so I can attach them to the yokes of the Monoprices. Neo 3's are heavy for use in headphones, so I hope they can be pressed against the ear the way they should be after assembly. The tube amp sounds so good with them, that I probably won't go the plug route. That approach probably wouldn't work anyway unless I had a good powerful headphone amp. Here's some pictures
Pictures by remlab - Photobucket
That looks like a rather tight fit with the earpads. I think you might want to tape off the driver openings and grind down the corners to a more round profile. Are you attempting to use any part of the original ear cup ,or just mount the neo3 as naked as possible to the headband? The headband looks like it is quite narrow in its relaxed, normal position. I hate headbands that pinch and put a lot of pressure on the wearers head. My AKG 501 are great for long term comfort. Very little inward pressure and very lights cans.

Greg
Old 3rd May 2012, 05:15 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

As long as the load is purely resistive, everything will be OK with the tube amp. The T-amp is a different story, the higher the impedance, the more the the high frequencies peak. The lower the impedance, the more the highs are attenuated. My 50 watt tube amp is probably only putting out about 5 watts into the 48 watt load..
Old 3rd May 2012, 06:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As long as the load is purely resistive, everything will be OK with the tube amp. The T-amp is a different story, the higher the impedance, the more the the high frequencies peak. The lower the impedance, the more the highs are attenuated. My 50 watt tube amp is probably only putting out about 5 watts into the 48 watt load..
Sorry, I meant 48 ohm load..

Hide this!Advertise here!