Electrostatic Speaker Help/Trouble - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2012, 06:57 PM   #51
AndreaT is offline AndreaT  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Bad news! After 2 more days drying-up the bad ES panel got back 5dB lower sensitivity

Hello Worl,

I am going to be crazy...

This is what happened after the 2 washing of my "bad" ES panel:
- After 1 day (24 h) of dry-up I got a sensitivy unbalance within 2dB (see my previous post)
- Today, after 2 more days of dry-up I got a very bad 5dB sensitivity unbalance, as better described in the below measurement graph

problem of 5db sensitivity gap again 20120814.png
The green line at the bottom is the math "good panel sensitivity / bad panel sensitivity", so it is the net unbalance gap.

I really do not understand how this panel worked better when still a bit humit, while getting dryed is working progressively worse.

Anyone has an idea about this very strange behavior?

Many thanks and, again, kind regards,
Andrea

Last edited by AndreaT; 14th August 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 07:33 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Would this behavior be explained by having an unreliable connection between the diaphragm and the copper strip that runs along the side? Better connection when damp; poorer when dry? If so, adding clamping pressure might help....
Old 15th August 2012, 03:08 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

All else being equal, I figure you either have an unreliable diaphragm-to-bias supply connection or it's time to re-coat the diaphragms.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:39 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andersonix and ChalieM for your suggestions.
I will follow both.
I am sure it is not a problem of connections or of the high voltage power supply (already checked twice).
Regards, Andrea
Old 16th August 2012, 12:51 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Default Needing instruction to open the ML ES panel

Hello Friends,

I would re-coat my old Sequel II ES panel, so I need to open my Martin Logan Sequel II panels.

Anybody out there is willing to give me precise instruction to correctly separate the back stator from the front stator without tearing the diaphragm film?

I never did it before and I have fear to damage something.

Many thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Andrea
Old 1st September 2012, 08:25 PM   #56
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have similar problem on my single CLS panel I washed/opened up/recoated. I now have a leak from mylar to back stator.

I still think there is moisture in foam tape allowing leak of charge, making the panel less efficient.

After playing, unplug the I/F from amp and power, and short the bias on mylar to the stator. See if you get a nice sharp spark. Do teh sameon other panel.

On my CLS, I see /hear a nice sharp spark on unwashed panel ,while on the washed panel that I have a 6db difference, I barely see / hear a spark. This is confirmed by my Neon Bias Charge indicator.

Still think the moisture is leaking charge, so I am going to wait a week to better dry before trying anything new...

Last edited by john65b; 1st September 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!