Flat Panel Speaker company of Japan - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Flat Panel Speaker company of Japan

FPS...Has anyone heard of or looked into this Japanese company? If you recall, Zaph tested their tiny "backpack" speaker a while back. The largest panel they make has 620 neodymium cube magnets set in a "symmetric" motor arrangement (310 per side) with a complex looking voice coil etched into a relatively large, squarish diaphram...http://usfps.com/products_en.html Check out the PDF specs. Albert Von Schweikert PA speaker.. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue11/ces04dg1.htm

Last edited by Remlab; 5th March 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I saw such speaker units are introduced in a TV program, though I can't remember that's a made by FPS.

If I remember correctly, the TV program had emphasis on those are extremely suitable for certain outdoor PA and announcement purpose,
for example, in the station, crosswalk, pseudo engine sound for hybrid cars ( sometimes they are too quiet to be easily noticed by people )

I don't know they have ever been used in commercial Hi-fi product or not.
Old 5th March 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Voice coil magazine test.. http://www.fps-inc.co.jp/mag-Voice-Coil-2011Dec.pdf
Old 6th March 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Very interesting patent description.. Patent US6963654 - Diaphragm, flat-type acoustic transducer, and flat-type diaphragm - Google Patents

As opposed to the Levitsky Patent; http://www.google.com/patents?id=ZmK...page&q&f=false

Last edited by Remlab; 6th March 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 7th March 2012, 03:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Look at the harmonic distortion plots for the cheap FPS backpack speaker from the zaph website..
http://www.zaphaudio.com/temp/FPS0212M7R521-HD.gif
Amazingly good THD performance from 1.5kh and up. Especially for a single ended motor design.
The non linear distortion performance on their larger balanced motor designs must be amazing!

Last edited by Remlab; 7th March 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:04 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

There was a guy floating around here a few years ago who did some work with/for FPS. He sent me a quote for the larger units. I was considering these prior to the Neo10 being released to DIY. I do not remember exactly how much, but I DO remember it was quite expensive. Too much for my budget and I still spent a lot! You might search for those old posts.

Greg
Old 7th March 2012, 11:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

See here:

ribbon mid and woofer

Ears4hire is the guy.

I heard the MAD stuff many years ago at a CES convention and was super impressed. Too bad they seem to have gone out of business. They were offering drivers in small sets. I looked into buying those too.

Greg
Old 7th March 2012, 11:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I also spoke with Eminent Technologies. He offered to make me a neo magnet version of his planar midrange. Said it would boost sensitivity by about 6dB or so. I declined after seeing the provided response and distortion plots.

Greg
Old 8th March 2012, 12:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bruce Thigpen is a very smart guy, his patented rotary woofer can go flat to 1 Hz. Some thing don't make a lot of sense though. Take a look at this.. Eminent Technology LFT-16 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Old 8th March 2012, 01:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
There was a guy floating around here a few years ago who did some work with/for FPS. He sent me a quote for the larger units. I was considering these prior to the Neo10 being released to DIY. I do not remember exactly how much, but I DO remember it was quite expensive. Too much for my budget and I still spent a lot! You might search for those old posts.

Greg
Greg
I got to examine all of them up close at "The Show" in Newport Beach. They had a room full of samples. The salesman told me that the largest one was several hundred dollars. Exactly what that means?? Anyway, you could imagine the labor involved with 600 magnets..
Seth

Hide this!Advertise here!