JansZen Z-210a - which currently available replacement ESL Unit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2013, 02:23 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Z-410

I repaired the panels on my Z-410's (mostly just cleaning the contacts). One set works fine but I think there is a problem with a power supply diode on the other set. I cannot locate a replacement. The diode is stamped RCA C3 64008. I know the other diodes drop 0.513 volts but this one drops 0.082 volts. Does anyone have a replacement power supply or know what the 1Nxxxx equivalent is for this diode?
Old 16th February 2013, 02:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The 1N4007 is rated at 1000v and will probably work for fine depending on what the supply input voltage is.
If you need a higher voltage rating you can just simply add them in series.

Can you post a schematic of the supply?

If the audio signal is used to provide the bias then you might want to use a faster type such as the UF4007.

jer
Old 16th February 2013, 03:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I wish I had the schematic, It would make life simpler. I was thinking of trying a 1N4007, the worst that can happen is that it will break down. I measured the DC supply on the other set but my meter drops out at 600VDC and I don't have any high value resistors to make a divider. Maybe thats the next step. I see some posts where people have parts but they are old posts so I don't know if anything is available any longer. It would be nice to get these speakers up and running as the one that works sounds pretty good.
Old 16th February 2013, 04:58 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

It appears that they are driven off of the line directly by the pictures in the first post.
If this is the case then the 1N4007 should be fine as each stage is only about 170v.

FWIW

jer
Old 16th February 2013, 08:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

The 1N4007 is working but the electrostic panel keep changing volume unless driven at a higher output. The other speaker works as I think it should. Anyone have any ideas as to the possible cause?
Old 18th February 2013, 09:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

These are the ESLs that first captivated the interest of innumerable HiFi fans towards ESL speakers. Janzen (or some spelling like that) was a grad student at MIT of Hunt who wrote "the book" on ESL theory... long ago. Even handling just the range from 1kHz up, they were a revelation when heard for the first time or in relation to AR-3 speakers of the time. (Hope somebody will correct my errors).

Ben
Old 19th February 2013, 07:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

trafostar,

Check the diaphram contacts under the label. They are often loose.

See my posts in this thread:

JanZen ESL panels

Good Luck!

Keith
Old 19th February 2013, 07:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to the post. It seemed the longer I played them the louder and cleaner they got. The wrinkles in the foil are almost gone now and both speakers are preforming equally. The mid range and highs are very open but the bass could be a little tighter, they are not quite as good sounding as my Totem Model 1's but a close second place when running on a Bryston 2B - LP.

Hide this!Advertise here!