Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 12:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8

I'm pretty sure my topic hasn't been discussed as far as I can tell from searching threads. Let me tickle your big brains:

Here's my design problem: I want to use the BG Neo 10 on OB with the AE Dipole 15 or another suitable woofer/s for bi-amp config @ 500hz or less system crossover point.
But the Neo10 is marketed as as midrange. Why? On its plot it goes as far as 13khz and still 90db. Now the Neo 8 goes to 20khz before dropping below 90db. 13khz is plenty good for me. The huge hill in response approaching 8-10 khz is there with all three drivers (Neo 8/Neo8PDR/Neo10) but I see this as a perfect way to get flatter response in the highs off axis.
I don't want to use the Neo 8 because it crosses too high for my taste and I don't have money for a bunch of them. Even if I did, I don't want an add-on tweeter.
So my question is this: is there some other reason BG marketed the Neo10 good for only up to 6khz? Is there some other reason the unit shouldn't be used above that, given that I don't care about the 15-20khz area or 'beaming'? I know the unit is higher excursion than the 8. Is intermodulation distortion the reason? Or is it as simple as not wanting to dampen sales of the Neo8 if the 10 is stated to have all the same capabilities and more?
Old 14th January 2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Beaming/ directivity would be seen as an issue by many users in the vertical plane particularly. B&G no doubt market it as a midrange because of these technical issues. Horizontal directivity is better because the driver is not as wide as it is tall. I'm sure it'd sound fine run up high, but I expect you will need to be dead on-axis to get hf at full level. There will likely be issues with power response in-room, but it depends on your exact application and how near to the drivers you are. I suppose you could also play with the horizontal angle relative to your ears in conjunction with the EQ for the inherently rising response. I have Neo 10s, and although I don't think I've had the best out of them yet, they are very good. In the end, all you can do is try it out and see what you think. The worst that can happen is that you'll end up needing a tweeter. I'm using it with the Neo 3 crossed over at 2kHz ATM.
Old 14th January 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

And what about the sound? Do you like the Kaladex drivers better than cone drivers? My wish is to get away from cone breakup. I don't mind sacrificing efficiency or a smooth response to get there.
Old 14th January 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The best I've heard them so far is when I took them over to my good friend The Guitarist's place. His system is better sorted than mine ATM and he has a lot of space behind the speakers, which helps. We both thought they sounded cleaner and more transparent to the music than the Audax HM130C0s he usually runs in the midrange. At home there are several issues, particularly room acoustics, that seem to be limiting performance. Those that have done a decent implementation seem very happy with them. Most are using them with the Neo 3, but this thread Raal 140, Neo10, AE Dipole 15 in the works on Audio Circle uses the Raal 140-15, and includes some discussion of the Neo 10 vs cone drivers.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Neo 10 horizontal dispersion

I spoke to the designer of the BG Neo line about that Neo10 specification. He told me the 6k limit was based mainly on the horizontal dispersion characteristic.
Old 29th January 2012, 03:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
The best I've heard them so far is when I took them over to my good friend The Guitarist's place. His system is better sorted than mine ATM and he has a lot of space behind the speakers, which helps. We both thought they sounded cleaner and more transparent to the music than the Audax HM130C0s he usually runs in the midrange. At home there are several issues, particularly room acoustics, that seem to be limiting performance. Those that have done a decent implementation seem very happy with them. Most are using them with the Neo 3, but this thread Raal 140, Neo10, AE Dipole 15 in the works on Audio Circle uses the Raal 140-15, and includes some discussion of the Neo 10 vs cone drivers.
Hey, that`s mine! I would advise against running the neo10 fullrange. There is something going on around 5-6khz that I don't like as well the rising response above there. The measurements I have are all with 2 neo10, so they don't look like BG`s. On mine, the low end is filled in due to the mutual coupling. Plus, the dispersion vertically in the highs will be like a laser beam.

Greg
Old 29th January 2012, 10:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Zaph measurements

Another thing I brought up with Igor Levitsky was the Neo 10 measurements that were done by Zaph. He was completely unaware of them, and was very impressed with Krutke's measuring technique. After examining the Zaph website( Was also unaware of that), he made the comment that there are very few people, professional or otherwise, that have a grasp on as many of the variables involved with speaker design as that guy does. He was floored when I told him that the website was created for the benefit of the DIY community without any financial gain in mind(The small amount he has made came way after 99% of the website info was completed).

Last edited by Remlab; 29th January 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

A very inspirational article it is too Greg. I now have four Neo 10s as well, the idea being to cross to a Raal 70-10D around the 3.5-4Khz mark, using a configuration similar to yours.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Studiotech, I followed your project with great interest from the very beginning. It's a beautiful speaker from both objective and subjective(looks) standpoints. If I were to build a fully open baffle design, I would definitely follow your lead. There is one thing that I don't quite understand though. It would appear that two vertically spaced Neo 10's with a laterally placed tweeter crossed over at anywhere above 2k would cause severe comb filtering in both the lateral and vertical plane. Do you notice this? Or is it subjectively benign?
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

But I thought the rising response would work in my favor if the highs are going to disperse narrowly, no?

Hide this!Advertise here!