Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 10:29 PM   #21
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
As an adjunct to the previous message, The dipole Neo 3 sounds amazing for this top octave duty and compared to a good ribbon(With all due respect!), it's dirt cheap. The Neo 10 run in this configuration(Parametric eq'd with no low pass crossover filter) is easy to implement and sounds(to my ears) silky smooth, natural, and transparent.
Just to set the record straight, this is not my usual arrangement. I run my vertically aligned dipole Neo 10's and 3's at 1.4k with an 8th order LR. If I had a dedicated listening room with acoustic treatments and one exact listening spot, it would probably be the above quoted arrangement.

Last edited by Remlab; 5th February 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:58 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMGeezer View Post
I work in the pro business, for the most part. I have been designing custom-coverage waveguides for a P.A. contractor who usually gets the job of cleaning up after someone who thought a "flying junkyard" of horns and woofer boxes would work... I got acquainted with Mr. Graebner back in his Speakerlab days, and have watched as he went on the B.G. business in Nevada. I have finally given in to the temptation to see if there is a pro application for multiple Ne0 3's or '8's. I have one of the oldest LMS rigs out there and use it for my polar studies to verify and characterize my waveguides. I will continue to lurk and try to cross-pollinate the pro business with all the creativity I read and see on DIY!

Regards
In case of any confusion, David Graebener sold his stake in the company a while back and now owns Wisdom Audio (also located in Carson city). BG radia's line source transducers were designed by Graebener and the entire Neo line was designed by Igor Levitsky. Levitsky also designed all of Hi Vi's planars and most of their woofers in the late 90's and early 2000's before going to BG Corp.(They can't use the names of "Bohlender" or "Graebener" anymore).
Old 8th February 2012, 12:23 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Anyone who is curious about my system can find it here under "remlab" Galleries | Stereophile.com
Old 8th February 2012, 12:52 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Anyone who is curious about my system can find it here under "remlab" Galleries | Stereophile.com
I AM curious...

Is that a wood frame around the Neo3/10 combo or foam?

1.4KHz for the neo3 is pretty low. Does it ever sound strained to you? Are you running the 8th order xover from the Behringer 2496?

Greg

Last edited by studiotech; 8th February 2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:23 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

One thing I'd like to point out is the bump in response at 5KHZ and the corresponding peak in distortion here for the Neo10. See Zaphs blog for charts. I can hear it for sure and this is why I recommend not running them any higher than 3.5KHz....not that you would want to anyway.

Greg
Old 8th February 2012, 08:24 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
I AM curious...

Is that a wood frame around the Neo3/10 combo or foam?

1.4KHz for the neo3 is pretty low. Does it ever sound strained to you? Are you running the 8th order xover from the Behringer 2496?

Greg
Its t-6 aluminum channel covered with acoustic vinyl. 1.4k is just about as low as it can go. I can hear strain with 4th order but not 8th and yes I do have a deq and two dcx's.
Seth
Old 8th February 2012, 09:46 PM   #27
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Greg I have to admit your project made me want to do a mini-me version in my car.

Last edited by winslow; 8th February 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 10:07 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslow View Post
Greg I have to admit your project made me want to do a mini-me version in my car.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:04 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
One thing I'd like to point out is the bump in response at 5KHZ and the corresponding peak in distortion here for the Neo10. See Zaphs blog for charts. I can hear it for sure and this is why I recommend not running them any higher than 3.5KHz....not that you would want to anyway.

Greg
I thought it was audible too until I Flattened out the response with a mirror imaged parametric curve. If you look at Hobby HiFi's true anechoic measurements of the neo 10, You will see that the 2nd order distortion peak is not only extremely narrow, but does not exeed 1%. If you look at some of the highest quality 5 1/2" drivers in the world, you will see that they have relatively wide band 2nd order distortion peaks(within the optimal crossover band) in the range that the ear is way more sensitive to (Equal-loudness contour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that also hits 1%. I could be wrong, but I think what you might be hearing is the(untamed?)6db rise at 5K and not the actual 2nd order distortion.
Seth

Last edited by Remlab; 8th February 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:54 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its t-6 aluminum channel covered with acoustic vinyl. 1.4k is just about as low as it can go. I can hear strain with 4th order but not 8th and yes I do have a deq and two dcx's.
Seth
Here are are a couple of images of one of the(naked) aluminum baffles.Systems

Hide this!Advertise here!