Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8 - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2012, 11:01 AM   #241
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
A speaker that measures flat in-room will sound somewhat thin or bright. A curve that slopes down about 10 dB from 20 Hz sound more natural.... so the Jamo is still missing almost 10 dB @ 25 Hz. Toole (at Harman) did some listening tests about this, I shall try to find it.
That hypothesis can be tested here. Kind of. Equal loudness contour charts actually do substantiate your claim.
Equal loudness contours and audiometry - Test your own hearing
Equal loudness contour chart..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour
But I have to add, my sealed system is flat to 20hz and that that 20hz sounds perfect relative to the rest of the spectrum. So I would have to say that dipole bass is so different "in room", that it needs to be lifted substantially to sound as "loud" as a sealed system at 20 hz..

Last edited by Remlab; 5th July 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 5th July 2012, 11:07 AM   #242
diyAudio Member

Found what I was looking for:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B97z...GQ4/edit?pli=1
Old 5th July 2012, 11:20 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Very interesting "Post" Floyd Toole (retired) work done by Sean Olive. My take on this is that when using High dispersion loudspeakers (The kind that Floyd and Sean prefer)as opposed to the more controlled dispersion types, the room will will have a lot more high frequency energy bouncing around in it (relatively speaking). This will, I think, be perceived in "normal" rooms as "treble heavy" by the listener and would need compensation in the bass to be perceived as "normal". I do think the best way to Know for sure is to listen only to excellent "purist" recordings of acoustic music containing acoustic bass while judging your system because acoustic bass can sound only one way as opposed to electric bass which can sound pretty much any way you want it to. If acoustic bass sounds thin in the lowest registers relative to its highest registers while your system measures flat (At the listening position), it would need bass compensation..

Last edited by Remlab; 5th July 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:52 AM   #244
diyAudio Member

Well, in normal situations reflected energy will totally dominate what we hear and what we measure at the listening position. If it measures flat, the total energy is flat, regardless of if its reflected or not. My experience is that a flat measured response sounds too thin in every case, regardless of speaker type and the amount of room reflection.
Old 6th July 2012, 08:24 PM   #245
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Linkwitz also believes that a downward trend sounds more natural, but only for pure dipoles, and at 2 db per decade slope.

Last edited by Remlab; 6th July 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 7th July 2012, 04:40 PM   #246
jeno is offline jeno  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Wow! Those are cool in a kind of disturbing way... They make a lot of sense though, except the forward tilting.
Old 7th July 2012, 07:22 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno View Post
Wow! Those are cool in a kind of disturbing way... They make a lot of sense though, except the forward tilting.
Obviously the tilt is for for aiming the high frequency units at the seated listening position. There would be pretty much only one ideal distance you could sit. Like with the larger wilson designs, but worse. At least the larger Focals have very effective multi-driver tilting mechanisms for aiming the drivers to any distance you want.
Old 31st July 2012, 11:16 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Speaking of tilt..
http://s1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh571/remlab/

I love the Neo 10 as a mid tweet, but it does sound rather closed in off axis, so I'm going to do some experimenting with this configuration above 9khz.

Last edited by Remlab; 31st July 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!