Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8 - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2012, 09:06 AM   #141
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ah. Just goes to show you should never assume, I suppose. The presentation led me to believe that the measurements were self-consistent. I didn't attempt to translate the text. I will try the '10 full range using my MiniDSP when I get some time.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:05 AM   #142
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

I should also say that without CORRECTLY IMPLEMENTED dsp, the Neo 10 is totally useless as a full range driver. With it? I cannot overstate how good it sounds. They are the perfect match for each other..
Old 21st April 2012, 05:48 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

I've got a neo8-S here now. This is the neo8 version that shares newer features with the neo10 design. It's mounted in a PE test box loaded with Bonded Logic. I should have measurements and impressions soon.

Dennis Murphy already tried them and got quite a dip around 1.5KHz. It was narrow, but being there at all makes me nervous. We will see if I get the same result.

Greg
Old 21st April 2012, 06:12 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Whoever test's the new NEO 8 - please do polars as well!
Old 21st April 2012, 07:05 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMGeezer View Post
Whoever test's the new NEO 8 - please do polars as well!
Will do...
Old 21st April 2012, 10:54 PM   #146
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Did Dennis test them in a sealed box? I have a theory about planar magnetic drive units and sealed boxes. Since there is no large round magnet assembly to break up standing waves, These resonances are allowed to fully develop without any hindrance. They can reflect back into the driver's delicate membrane delayed in time causing large, narrow band peaks and dips in the response. This should be especially noticeable with steady state pink noise type measurements. This is why packing the interior with bonded logic is so important with this type of transducer. It's interesting to note that a 1.5khz wavelength is 9". That's a pretty typical interior depth dimension...

Last edited by Remlab; 21st April 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 21st April 2012, 11:57 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Did Dennis test them in a sealed box? I have a theory about planar magnetic drive units and sealed boxes. Since there is no large round magnet assembly to break up standing waves, These resonances are allowed to fully develop without any hindrance. They can reflect back into the driver's delicate membrane delayed in time causing large, narrow band peaks and dips in the response. This should be especially noticeable with steady state pink noise type measurements. This is why packing the interior with bonded logic is so important with this type of transducer. It's interesting to note that a 1.5khz wavelength is 9". That's a pretty typical interior depth dimension...
I wondered about the same thing, BUT Dennis is using the regular noe8 with no issues...

We will find out soon enough.

Greg
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:02 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Good to get some measure of the Neo 8S. In fact Proraum have measurements on their web: Proraum Vertriebs-GmbH | Startseite. With the prices now announced for Neo10 the Neo8S should be interesting. The question is probably if you could crossover about 300 Hz.

/Erling
Old 22nd April 2012, 02:01 PM   #149
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It seems unlikely Erling. That's about as low as you'd want to take the Neo 10 based on what I've seen around the forums and my own experimental lash-ups. 500Hz or so for the 8S, perhaps? Depends on how loud you want it of course. The standard version seems to like 7-800Hz. I keep forgetting that I've got four of the standard Neo 8 to try!
Old 22nd April 2012, 04:54 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

For any decent SPL level, you've got to keep the Neo10 above 250-300, so I'm hoping for 500hz on the Neo8S. Arta not playing nice with my new laptop, so I might only be able to freq plots right now though.

Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!