Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8 - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2012, 02:29 AM   #121
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Always!
Old 4th March 2012, 08:12 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Everyone has a different idea of what "balancing tradeoffs" means.. If someone is supremely happy with his results, even after attempting to "bend" or in some cases even "break" the laws of physics, then the design is an unqualified success..For him. By the same token, If someone respects and obeys all of the physical laws and ends up hating the results, the design is an unmitigated failure..For him. Ultimately, the success of a design is purely subjective. But I do believe that a design that attempts to weave gently through the compromises without bending, bruising, or denting any of them has a better chance of success than one that doesn't.
Seth

Last edited by Remlab; 4th March 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:39 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Latest Pictures and description.. Pictures by remlab - Photobucket
Computer based system consisting of;
Computer
Squeezebox touch
Behringer DEQ(For measurements only), Behringer SRC, and two Behringer DCX's(One per channel).
Signal stays in the digital domain until the DCX output..
Four subwoofer amps purchased from Jack Hidley(Internal crossovers bypassed)
Three Behringer A500's
Dayton cabs
Speaker bases(For main's) made from 10" Dayton subwoofer baffles.
Peerless XXLS's
Peerless HDS Exclusives
BG Neo 10's and 3's
BG Neo's attached with Dayton gasket putty only. No screws..
T-6 Aluminum channels covered with acoustic vinyl. (Prototypes)
Xover points(8th order); 75 150 450 1,800 (Constantly Evolving) Best configuration so far..
Seth

Last edited by Remlab; 11th March 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11th March 2012, 12:58 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Maybe it's just the cameras perspective, but are the tweeters quite a bit above your seated ear level? How directional do they sound in the top 2 octaves?

Greg
Old 11th March 2012, 01:30 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Maybe it's just the cameras perspective, but are the tweeters quite a bit above your seated ear level? How directional do they sound in the top 2 octaves?

Greg
Greg
Good question.. An unequalized dipole Neo 3's response rises with frequency. http://www.k4revenge.com/Mat/new/bgneo3pdr.pdf
The rise compensates almost perfectly for the lower axis I'm listening at..
Seth
Old 16th March 2012, 11:47 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

I found a store that sells Igor Levitsy's horn loaded SLS PRD 500 design. These are typically not available to the public..

Speaker Exchange | SLS Ribbon Tweeter PRD500
Old 5th April 2012, 10:22 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

I haven't read all this thread but I wanted to tell you about my experience with the NEO8. For the last three years I've been designing and testing the NEO8 in an open baffle. I compared it to other midrange, full range and tweeters and found them stunningly transparent. I found that the rising frequency response helped with the design and that the peak at 12K was diminished enough, especially off axis, to not be a problem, in fact it helped with the loss off axis due to the width of the driver.
I found that by tweaking the baffle width, and using a trapezoidal shape, I can position the baffle peak so it lifts the response on axis between about 500Hz and 2K. This has allowed me to crossover at 650Hz (since I don't play my stereo really loud) without audible distortion. Now comes an extra payoff, as I measure further off axis and the highs diminish, the baffle peak between 500 and 2K goes down too and the response stays quite flat for such a wide driver, with such a bumpy on axis response (the bumps also disappear. Also, the bass and midrange response also diminishes somewhat off axis resulting in a nice wide and smooth listening window. I actually like the highs of the NEO8 in this configuration better than the Hiquphon OW1 in my MBOW1 speakers, mostly because there is no crossover in the tweeter range. Of course, it isn't as smooth or as extended as the OW1, but the compromise is worth it.

James
Old 10th April 2012, 01:46 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Hi guys
Interesting new "discovery" about the Neo 10. I suspected that the 2nd order HD peak at 5khz, and the 3rd at 2.8khz (As seen on Zaph's website) are "sub-harmonic" artifacts of the 9khz frequency response peak. I spoke to Igor about this to get a verification and he agreed. In other words, if you filter out the 9 khz fr peak by a given amount , the sub-harmonic distortion is also lowered by the same amount at 5 and 2.8khz. Ultimately this is probably trivial info, but it could be useful and informative..
Seth
Old 16th April 2012, 10:59 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Interesting info. Thx.

Here's another opinion from someone you all may know:

M165 OR NEO10

Greg
Old 16th April 2012, 11:37 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotech View Post
Interesting info. Thx.

Here's another opinion from someone you all may know:

M165 OR NEO10

Greg
Hey Greg
That's the first "subjective" comment I've seen from Danny concerning the Neo 10. Interesting..
There is a subharmonic at around 1 khz that is also an artifact of the 9khz peak.
These subharmonics totally disappear when low passing the neo 10 in a typical crossover situation.
Seth

Hide this!Advertise here!