Bg Neo 10 and Neo 8 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 12:56 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

You might want to take a few deep breaths before looking at this:

PIEGA SA | SWITZERLAND
Old 27th February 2012, 01:18 AM   #102
Remlab is offline Remlab  United States
diyAudio Member

Greg
That's right! I forgot about Piega. I was in switzerland recently and wanted to visit their showroom, but never got around to it.I asked Igor a while back if he ever thought about designing a "Piega" style point source drive unit. His responded by saying that it was an interesting design, but would be prohibitively expensive to produce. He also said compressing and separating the mylar tweeter section in the center of the unit would be sub-optimal for the best midrange perfomance.
But man, I would love to hear that dipole version!
Seth

Last edited by Remlab; 27th February 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 27th February 2012, 02:59 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Here's an interesting article with pictures of the Piega coax in various stages of assembly. The cool Swiss dude is the guy that assembles all the planar magnetic units.
piegaloudspeakers
Old 27th February 2012, 05:23 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Here is another article with the larger coax being assembled..Sorry, It's actually the smaller one..
http://www.piega.ch/download/Fidelity42_Piega.pdf

Last edited by Remlab; 27th February 2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:38 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Greg
Interesting design. Very expensive to implement(because of the high acoustic cut off point of each driver, you have to use many progressively larger drivers to pull the design off.)and ultimately flawed because each baffle(The driver becomes it's own baffle) is round and the acoustic response of round baffles at just above the lower cutoff point is terrible..
Seth
Very interesting comment. I use 18Sound 6Nd430 which Greg tested and did try it without baffle. I didn't like the sound of this driver baffle-less compared to when it was mounted on a 20 cm wide baffle. This is a bit contrary to what proponents of the 'Constant Directivity' trend advocate. But there might be some things I overlooked for an explanation that you have a clue to.
My system: Ultimate OB Gallery .

/Erling
Old 27th February 2012, 10:30 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
Very interesting comment. I use 18Sound 6Nd430 which Greg tested and did try it without baffle. I didn't like the sound of this driver baffle-less compared to when it was mounted on a 20 cm wide baffle. This is a bit contrary to what proponents of the 'Constant Directivity' trend advocate. But there might be some things I overlooked for an explanation that you have a clue to.
My system: Ultimate OB Gallery .

/Erling
Erling
This design could work very well if each driver was offset mounted in a tiny rectangular baffle with golden, or at least Fibonacci ratios. For example, lets say you are dealing with a 7" driver. You could offset mount it in a baffle that is 7.5" x 12"(Obviously works the same for cm) The baffles length dimensions would actually be placed horizontally(but far enough away from each other to breath. If they are placed too close together, they effectively become one giant baffle) for closer driver spacing... The ultimate goal for a baffle would be to have every part of the outside edge be at different distances from the acoustic center of the driver.(Impossible? Yes. but that's the goal..) The best possible shape for a baffle would probably be a golden ratio nautilus starting at the edge of the driver, and working it's way out..
Seth

Last edited by Remlab; 27th February 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 09:46 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Seth,

What I wanted your comment on was really this sentence: 'and the acoustic response of round baffles at just above the lower cutoff point is terrible..'
In the more general context I think I can share intuitively a good argument for Golden Rule baffle measures.

/Erling
Old 29th February 2012, 02:07 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
Seth,

What I wanted your comment on was really this sentence: 'and the acoustic response of round baffles at just above the lower cutoff point is terrible..'
In the more general context I think I can share intuitively a good argument for Golden Rule baffle measures.

/Erling
Erling
Sorry about that... The reason that I brought that up is because I assumed(wrong) that if you didn't realize that a round raw driver acted as it's own circular baffle, that maybe you also weren't aware of the effect of baffle shape on driver response. My bad.
Seth
Old 29th February 2012, 05:43 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remlab View Post
Erling
Sorry about that... The reason that I brought that up is because I assumed(wrong) that if you didn't realize that a round raw driver acted as it's own circular baffle, that maybe you also weren't aware of the effect of baffle shape on driver response. My bad.
Seth
The reason they sound bad? because the defraction effects aren't offset by different distances. It basically adds up to one big off axis difraction ripple at the same frequencies, in all directions..
seth
Old 29th February 2012, 05:31 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Seth,

To ascertain that we talk about the same phenomenon. What you call 'the lower cut off point' I suppose is what commonly is referenced as 'the dipole peak' which is dependent upon baffle size, and the effects of, also of baffle appearance and speaker placement.

/Erling

Hide this!Advertise here!