Opinions please...Tympnai IVa / ML CLS / Soundlab Pristine II - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opinions please...Tympnai IVa / ML CLS / Soundlab Pristine II

Hey all,

I currently have Magnepan Tympani IVa and really love them. But I have someone willing to give me quite a bit of $$ for them...

I have a choice between ML CLS (cheap - just the CLS panels, but I would be building PS for them - but building a set of ESL's is something I have always wanted to do anyway), and there is a pair of Soundlab Pristine II local for $1600...and some Dayton Wrights XG-10 Mk 2 with XW-10 subs.

Don't really want the DW as too complicated (sealed Inert gas on panels, 150# power supply?? Yikes)

I like that the Tympanis are near foolproof - no complicated electronics, if voice coil wires delaminate, I can easily fix. Aside from torn mylar, can't see much going wrong with them...I actually have another pair of Tympani 1D in the other room (for real cheap) that need a total rewire, but mylar is good condition. The 1D probably won't go down to the IVa, but that's OK...

Leaning toward building the CLS and bi-amping with Tympani 1D panels...anyone with any good advice?? I have many amps (Icepower 1000ASP, Krell Clone, Aleph 5, etc) and a Behringer DCX2496 to biamp...

So, I need to make a decision soon...don't wanna dissapoint myself, as it took me forever to find the Tympani IVa's....
Old 6th January 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I currently have Magnepan Tympani IVa and really love them. But I have someone willing to give me quite a bit of $$ for them...

So Do you need the Money?..... If not you can all ways sell..If you can put them side by side....you never no!

Cls i have a pr here an if you can rebild the panels an set the bias feed up right but...most wont do this...you can rip the mylar....or did you say you Would get new cls
panels at $1500.+shiping
SoundLabs i have had the A3s....i never could get them play loud...i put a Krell MDA 500, On each one.....There like a Dead Short.......my Acoustat killed the SoundLabs....All just one man o-pine

I have got to have one of ever pr of speakers i can.... i have 25pr here now...4 pr of Maggys..More coming...As you no you can have all the AMPS made, the speaker tells the story.....Goodluck
Old 6th January 2012, 05:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No, don't need the money, but good to get top dollar without having to ship...

The CLS panels are cheap, and are just the panels only. The Sound Labs Pristine II are $1600 complete - supposedly work perfectly.
Old 6th January 2012, 06:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Tympanis are very fine sounding speakers if you have a room that allows proper placement and enough space to let them sing. I have a close friend with a pair driven by VTL100 monoblocks and the only fault I can find is the somewhat "larger than life" imaging that is a consequence of their physical configuration. I don't have experience with your potential replacements but suspect they will at best come close to the Maggies. Unless the money you are being offered is well beyond what you think the Tympanis are worth to you, I'd keep them.
Old 6th January 2012, 07:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

About the Money...... i dont wont to be foolesh.....my frist ESL were thr Acoustats Xs,....an thay had the sevro tube amps in them, greate sound for the 80s....A guy offerd me two much money, well at that time, any way.....i paid $400. foe the Xs an thay cam with the tube amps......$4500......he had to have them.... an He was right SOLD.....so only you no on the $$$$$ it all good....in panels...well too me..An you wont no if you dont go.... i just like two hear the pan...the ML...an the SL....An miney others
Old 6th January 2012, 07:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyu View Post
About the Money...... i dont wont to be foolesh.....my frist ESL were thr Acoustats Xs,....an thay had the sevro tube amps in them, greate sound for the 80s....A guy offerd me two much money, well at that time, any way.....i paid $400. foe the Xs an thay cam with the tube amps......$4500......he had to have them.... an He was right SOLD.....so only you no on the $$$$$ it all good....in panels...well too me..An you wont no if you dont go.... i just like two hear the pan...the ML...an the SL....An miney others
Like he said!
Old 7th January 2012, 11:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

OK, I have decided to keep the Tympani IVa's for now. and I now have the ML CLS panels. I will start designing and building the Bias / Power Supply and frame (with a little help from you all) and will be able to hear both. I plan on using Tympani 1D bass panels with the CLS, so they can be dedicated for 200Hz and up...

I have given up on the Soundlabs for now...

Thanks for all the advice...I will be starting a new thread on the CLS power supply...
Old 8th January 2012, 01:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default The Acoustat set well work with the

CLS....you seen this right...as for the bias Xfourmer.. i like acoustat... the 750v-or higher... This is the A...setup...there are other goodluck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACOUSTAT%20SCHEMATICS-NO%20POT[1].jpg (99.4 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg ACOUSTAT%20SCHEMATICS-%20CORRECTED[1].jpg (92.4 KB, 217 views)
Old 12th January 2012, 05:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Tympani IV's and Summit

The combination of Magneplanar Tympani IV's and Martin Logan
Summits are awesome. I have been using this combination for
a long time and extend the low frequency range down to 1 hz with
a TRW-17 rotary subwoofer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1034.jpg (27.7 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (51.3 KB, 189 views)
Old 12th January 2012, 05:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

That a very expensive sub (yikes)...I thought of making one myself, as I have an osculating fan somewhere in the basement!

Hide this!Advertise here!