Another ESL project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2012, 03:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I would try Calvin's tin-foil probe, using the bias supply as the voltage source-- here's a link to his post: test
Old 3rd April 2012, 02:52 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks Charlie. I tested my stators and as a result I decided to add at least one more layer of epoxy coating. But before doing that I'll take fine grit sandpaper and smoothen all the surfaces and make the stators a slightly thinner. I use 1mm thick perforated steel and after 2 epoxy coats I measured the stator thickness around 1,7mm. On hole areas the coating thickness is slightly less, 0,2mm or 8 mils. Sorry about the units. Too lazy to convert them into imperial units
Old 4th April 2012, 04:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Sounds good!
Keep us posted.
You might want to try the method I had described in post #8 as well.
It is very simple just use a few pieces of some acyrlic or polycarbonate such as empty CD cases to seperate the stators with and power them up without the Diagphram.
And if there is no arcing with your amp turned up you should be good to go.

jer
Old 9th April 2012, 10:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thx Jer for your excellent tip. I tested it and everything seemed to be working fine. I still think that I should add one more layer of epoxy coating just to be on a safe side. Charlie used 1,6mm d/s and I'll be using 2,0mm. I might have to add 1 or 2 steps to my bias supply later on and then slightly thicker coating might become a must have. Hopefully I can finally get some sound out of these speakers on this week. Cross your fingers and fear for the worst
Old 11th April 2012, 03:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Awesome !!!!

The more bias you can use the more efficient they will be.
But higher than about 6.5kv things start to get real tricky.
But even 3kv to 4kv will yield a very high output on a panel that size.
I have not made a large one yet but it is in my plans to do so.
I like playing with my little ones for now and they get really loud for such a small panel.

I will be building some new ones shortly since I burned one of them up,Just waiting on the weather still with the last cold snap going through.

Good Luck !!!

jer
Old 18th April 2012, 05:57 PM   #16
Sype is offline Sype  Finland
diyAudio Member

Is elvamide coating totally out of question?
Old 18th April 2012, 06:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I applied the third epoxy coating and after it was dry I measured the coating thickness to be around 9mils or more. I hooked up the stators to my bias supply and turned up the volume. No sparks were flying so everything should be good to go. It was funny to listen the music coming from the transformers when there was enough volume. I hope that's normal. But then again there's coils in the speaker drivers and turntable cartridge and they both make sounds.

Hopefully on this weekend I'll have a chance to finish the stators. Earlier I mentioned about the different diaphragm coating options. Many of the ones mentioned on this forum are either almost or very difficult to acquire over here. Right at the beginning I decided to skip the graphite powder. After doing some research I decided to give a try to MJ Dijkstra's EC-coating. The Dupont mylar that I'll be using is 6μm thick. At the beginning I thought about purchasing the same transformers of which Charlie mentioned in this blog. Finally I ended up on purchasing Velleman's 230V 2x6V 50VA. The price for these were around 28$ each in the local shop here in Finland.

That's it for now. Hopefully in a few days I'll have more to write about...
Old 18th April 2012, 06:22 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sype View Post
Is elvamide coating totally out of question?
I also thought about using this but to me it felt too complicated. I believe that here you need to know a friendly pharmacist who can help you to get the right kind of alcohol in which you'll dilute the elvamide. If that is no problem then why not give a try to it. If you'll try it then please write some comments about it. As a newbie all the tips and comments are more than welcome.
Old 18th April 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemu View Post
At the beginning I thought about purchasing the same transformers of which Charlie mentioned in this blog. Finally I ended up on purchasing Velleman's 230V 2x6V 50VA. The price for these were around 28$ each in the local shop here in Finland.

That's it for now. Hopefully in a few days I'll have more to write about...
Those trannys should sound great. I would always opt for a 230v single winding on the HV side over two 115v windings in series. The 230v trannys are readily available on your side of the pond but you can't get them anywhere in the US. The 2x115v Antek trannys sound just fine and they're dirt cheap and easy to get here so that's what I recommend on my blog page. I was lucky enough to obtain some Farnell 230v/2x6v toroids, which is what I'm using in my personal speakers.
Old 19th April 2012, 06:26 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I've found a computer screen cleaning gel to be another alternative for a good coating material for the diaphragm. It contains some antistatic material, and it's very easy to apply. I've used it for about 2 months with my electrostatic headphones with no problem. I don't know how long it can last though. But, I always make my stators separable so that I can recoat the diaphragm if needed.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Wachara C.

Hide this!Advertise here!