Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2011, 07:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY headphones from Scratch?

First of all yes, I am new to the forum. So Hi everyone

I listen to music in two distinctive ways. My first and preferred method is using closed and noise isolating headphones, and second is through a pair of speakers my mum built that sit in my room.

The latest pair of headphones I have aren't what you'd call the latest. That is, I've had them for more than five years and they are really starting to show signs of my high intensity use.

So I got to thinking about making up my own pair of 'Kristyn-proof', or 'Bomb-proof' Industrial clunkers, like using Kevlar sleeving on the cable due to problems with cable damage in the past.

I hope to use the drivers from a pair of closed cans such as the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Shure SRH940:

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31LAQBPAziL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/IMG
Click the image to open in full size.

And no, portability isn't a problem - these plan to be headphones pumped through an amp only, not an mp3 player (I have little ear-buds for that).
My main reasoning for wanting to do this? It'll be a fun and learning experience. If not frustrating.

I haven't found much in the way of serious headphone modifications, well any that don't seep into the realm of the pretentious-audiophile such as making the casing mahogany and studded with rubies

Anyone tried a serious DIY headphone project? Ever attempted a Franken-headphone, that is a mixing of all the best bits of several models?

More importantly, where can I find a pair of drivers?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my intolerable noob-ness.
Old 25th December 2011, 11:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you looked into making a pair of electrostatic headphones? Has anybody made an ELS headphone?

Wachara C.
Old 26th December 2011, 07:52 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi - Thanks for the link. I've already looked into electrostatics. They are pretty amazing looking headphones from what I've read... except the high voltage would fry my cat if he decides to get hungry again and gnaw on the cable. Looks like some kevlar sleeving is the go hahaha.

I'll post up my progress.
Old 26th December 2011, 08:42 AM   #4
coldcut is offline coldcut  Sweden
diyAudio Member

If I remember correctly, there was thread here a few years ago with a chinese member who made his own headphones, with DIY drivers and everything. Loads of pictures, very impressive work.
Old 26th December 2011, 09:26 AM   #5
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristyn View Post
...electrostatics...high voltage would fry my cat...
How about DIY ribbon/planar drivers, then? Should be fairly simple, inexpensive and cat-friendly.

When I saw "from Scratch" in the thread title, I wasn't expecting store-bought drivers to be part of the plan.

Hide this!Advertise here!