eBay Newform Ribbons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up 2 more R45 Newform ribbons on eBay but they arrived damaged and I'm not sure what to do.

They probably work. Seller put them in a heavy schedule-40 4" plastic pipe, shoved pipe caps on the ends, and drove 3 sheet metal screws into the pipe caps to secure them on the plastic pipe. Then he put each pipe in its own box and marked them 'fragile'. About 90 pounds each.

UPS definitely dropped them mulitple times on each of the end caps. The shipper protected the rear terminal posts fine, but the pipes were too long and he stuffed the ends with compressible material. The screw heads (for the sheet metal screws he used to keep the caps on without glue) gouged up the ribbons pretty badly, and caught on the stock plastic ribbon end caps that close the ribbon channels; then wires popped out and the end cap cut the wires the next time the ribbon shifted inside the pipe.

IMHO the damage is half the shipper's fault for mediocre packaging and half UPS's fault for dropping them so hard so many times. To break all 4 of the thick plastic pipe caps on the pipes took at least 4 incredible drops, probably more. My renter was home when UPS literally dropped them off, and he said the house's foundation shook when he dropped 2 90-pound packages at the door.

I got them for about $400 plus about $200 shipping. Shipment insured for $500 each but UPS is very difficult to collect from for damages. Maybe I should ask John Mayer (did I spell that right?) to sell me replacement end-caps for the ribbons and ask the seller to refund $50 and fine a claim with UPS? Too expensive to ship back though seller offered a refund. I wish I'd been there to pack it myself or tell him to NOT use any compressible packing materials inside the pipe, make the ribbons fit inside the pipe tight, then 6 layers of cardboard on the ends, ptu in box, fill with spray foam.

What a bummer... I've noticed that shipping things marked "fragile" only make UPS treat them worse. It's sad but true. For that kind of weight I'd have used a freight company geared for this sort of thing. You're right - UPS will give you a hard time about claiming insurance, and if they did settle, they send the money to the shipper, not the recipient.

Upon closer inspection, the planar diaphragm sheets appear to have skewed wrinkles, indicating that the covers shifted. Not good. I'm going to have to decide whether to ship backto the mfgr. at consdierable expense and another exposure to possible damage. Even the mfgr's boxes are risky. I'm not exactly sure what to do, perhaps I should take pictures and send them to the mfgr.

What a bummer... I've noticed that shipping things marked "fragile" only make UPS treat them worse. It's sad but true. For that kind of weight I'd have used a freight company geared for this sort of thing. You're right - UPS will give you a hard time about claiming insurance, and if they did settle, they send the money to the shipper, not the recipient.
I've read that UPS only pays an insurance claim when taken to small claims court. You probably need to go through the UPS claim service and get denied first.
Upon closer inspection, the planar diaphragm sheets appear to have skewed wrinkles, indicating that the covers shifted. Not good. I'm going to have to decide whether to ship backto the mfgr. at consdierable expense and another exposure to possible damage. Even the mfgr's boxes are risky. I'm not exactly sure what to do, perhaps I should take pictures and send them to the mfgr.
Absolutely take pictures. The judge, among others, will want to see.

When one end-cap came off it tore the diaphragma little bit. John says it's fatal and is sending replacement diaphragm and cover plate for a reasonable fee. Could have been much worse. Thank heaven he trusts field-replacement now too; that wasn't always the case. And shipping to Canada and back to California is an expensive PITA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.