Stacked pair of Quad ESL 57 - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2012, 08:27 PM   #51
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's the stereophile review of the Quad:
Quad Reference ESL-2805 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Looking at the measurements, there is nothing to write about in terms of frequency response (fig 6), resonances (fig 9), or polar response (fig 3). The only spectacular result is the distortion measurement (fig 10), which is much much lower than most speakers.
Old 10th May 2012, 12:27 AM   #52
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

That step response and low distortion to boot make the difference worth listening for long hours!

Regards
David
Old 15th June 2012, 12:18 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

I found an article with photos and an Ebay auction for a pair of stacked pairs of Quad ESL-57 speakers here...

Why have a pair of speakers when you can have a quad (literally)?
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:46 AM   #54
Pepe is offline Pepe  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I been wanting a pair of esl 57s for more then 20 years now and last week I got a hold of two pairs!!!! Planning to stack them, but I am missing a transformer... anybody knows where to get ahold of one? Been searching the bay without any luck so far.
Appriciate all the help I can get!
Pepe
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:32 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

I originally got 2 pairs myself many a year ago. First listen to a pair before you go to the trouble of stacking them.
Don,t consider automatically that's the best way. They were never designed for stacking and you will be losing and gaining in area's depending on your priority's
If you stack, are they both equal in integrity without any burn holes to the panels? Sounds like some issues if you need a trans.
Are all 4 close in serial #'s?

Regards
David
Old 23rd October 2012, 02:27 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

AVWERK:
I got one of the pairs hooked up in my livingroom right now and they do sound good in non stacked configuration. It is more out of curiosity that I want to try stacked pairs.
I have planned to restore both pair anyway so after that they should hopefully be close enough match for stacking..... I hope!?
The ones I got hooked up do not have burnet pannels, but the other pair do have treblepannels that are burnt (got that pair for "free" when I bought the ones I'm using right now).

I want to repaint the grills and would like to know the best way of getting rid of the old paint before I send the grills to the automotive laquer or maybe I wil like them in their raw unpainted..... will probably qo for bronzegrills!

Best regards
Peter
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:31 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

I hope you have the pair up off the floor at least 12" + for best transparency.

The grills could be powder coated? Mine look anodized.. Maybe yours were painted before.
Bead blasting is the only effective way to get any paint off this kind of grill. Are you sure their painted?

Regards
David
Old 24th October 2012, 12:11 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

The grills on my both pairs have been painted for shure, the paint is starting to chip.
Unfortunatly thay are most of the time directly placed on the floor. I have tried use my dinnertablechairs for stands and as you say the SQ improves a lot.
Where I live now is just for a short time of period and the room they are placed in is very small and far away from ideal, it's like wearing GIGANTIC esl headphones.
As soon as I moved to my new flat I will start looking into refurbing both pairs and I will need to make some stands or feet for them also. Aestheticly I prefer the original esl 57 feet, the stands from one thing audio do not apeal to me.
If I go for stacked ones I will most defenetly suspend/hang them from the seiling. do not like the stands I've seen for stacked pairs so far.

Last edited by Pepe; 24th October 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:34 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Nice find, a quad of quads.
I found a Dutch repair shop that also makes replacement transformers. They claim the response improves (lower interwinding capacitances/losses).
Ask them. info@audio4.nl . This is their site: Audio4 A replacement new transformer is 360 incl VAT.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:45 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

If anyone needs an original Quad step-up transformer I have some available. Contact me for details.

Hide this!Advertise here!