Martin Logan Aerius i panel removal - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2011, 03:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Martin Logan Aerius i panel removal

G'day
I have taken on the job to repair a set of martin logan Aerius that have become distinctly dull in the hf , one panel being down by 15dB at 3KHz and both speaker terminals on the bass driver have broken away, which leads me to my question , How to remove the electrostatic front metal panels ? which seem to be in 2 parts ,one covering the bass driver and then the upper hf panel. The HT i measured by putting a 3.3megohm resistor in series with a digital dc voltmeter that only had a 1KV dc range and both HT voltages measure same but need to access the bass to replace the terminals > I have always stayed clear of electrostatics repairs but in the electronic service these days everything is worth a look. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th November 2011, 03:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would not open up the electrostatic panel. Please check to see if all the electronic components work the way they should.

On Aerius, you need to wire the bass and the electrostatic panel together if you want to drive them using only one amp. You can also use an amp to drive the electrostatic panel and use another one just to drive the bass (bi-amp).

Wachara C.
Old 19th November 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
tyu is offline tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

voltmeter that only had a 1KV dc

Most voltmeter only go up to one Kdc......that sead it shoukd be 2800-dc to 3500 -dc...
go to the tweaks.... http://www.martinloganowners.com/for...weaks.....Give the panels a bath.....goodluck i have redone the panel miney times.. i have a pr here now...Martin Logan Aerius i....chek the diy also there....thay can sound great...some say there the best ML ever made...great mids.....
Old 19th November 2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

My ML SL3 is also defect and my speaker has most likely a defect high voltage part. Check first the HV power supply.
Old 1st December 2011, 06:40 PM   #5
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you sure they are not just dusty?

Did you vacuum them? I spend about 20 minutes on each speaker with a brush attachment.

You can also rinse/shower them.

Martin Logan Shower Cleaning PDF

Hide this!Advertise here!