High strength Dielectric Coatings, fact or fiction - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2011, 07:22 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Yes,I believe we had touched on that before.
The aluminium screen stator material that I do have almost ready has a base coat of a acid based zinc primer and then a coat of black enamel, then a few coats of primer that has a talc filler and is now ready for a heavy coat of 2X clear.

I am waiting to get my Variable HV Supply done first, so that I can check what I have done so far.

jer
Old 18th November 2011, 09:51 AM   #32
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Kynar is really interesting stuff, regarding its electrical parameters.
It may have its issues with glueing to a stiffening structure.
The wirewrap wire is also easy to source and it is intended to be ´pulled´ in small turns. It should not give problems whem stretching the stator structure taught and plain.
But best is..... the wire is silver-coated copper!
Now if that isn´t HighEnd

jauu
Calvin
Old 18th November 2011, 11:09 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

FWIW, Glyptal is cellulose nitrate based; with acetone or ethanol carrier. Long term stability is an issue, but it's soluble in the original carrier, so can be removed or re-applied.

Shellac has more serious long term stability, and cross-links over time making it difficult to remove.

" ...
I have had Krylon's engineers find out for me if their conformal coating is the same as their clear acrylic enamel spray and the conclusion was that it appears to be but he could not give me a straight answer as yes or no.
..."

I would read that to mean "it is the same but company policy is I can't say that out loud because like all paint companies, we're very protective of our exact formulations because our competitors want to know that info".

In general, the ingredients used to make paint are well known but the proportions in each individual product are not and fall under the category of trade secrets.

Note also that when you look at a can of paint, the manufacturer is required to list all ingredients but is allowed to jumble the order, so it's not in proportion from most to least, like a food label is. The MSDS might give clues as to the formula because certain %'s trigger different regulatory categories, so they have to mention that sometimes.

It also may be possible to learn things from checking product information, including health & safety data, from different nations since the regulatory requirements might vary, offering other clues (one of the not-so-often mentioned reasons behind a push for harmonized regulations worldwide).
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 18th November 2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 19th November 2011, 12:52 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Thank James for the information, actually it is very interesting! I'm however just looking for the Holy Grail for High dielectric coatings. Did you ever review the CRC's product which claims a 3kv/mil coating spray?

I keep hearing Jer's caution of products claims...LOL

I'd like to hear your opinion...to me, it chemically looks very much like every other vanilla flavored Polyurethane.......

https://images.tradeservice.com/gjPi...NDE00027_1.pdf

Regards,
Jerry
Old 28th November 2011, 07:03 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

It takes electricity to make rust. Rustoleum has a fairly high dielectric rating. Around 1500. Electricians marking paint is around 2500.
Standard spray paint 500 ish
Old 29th November 2011, 12:35 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

JooJoo1234, What are you talking about???

Rust, in short is Iron oxidation from moisture and Oxygen (Fe2O3·nH2O, and (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3) , rust has nothing to do with this thread.

Where are you getting those dielectric ratings from, Which brands are you referring to, what colors are you specifically speaking of??

With all due respect, you may want to read the thread prior to commenting on it.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:32 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Well, first. I never want to be seen as claiming I know what I am talking about on this forum at this stage of the game. I have seen the dielectric rating per millimeter for Rustoleum (perhaps it was the professional version) and it was 1400-1500. The brand "Spray On" "red insulating varnish" has a rating per millimeter of 2400. Perhaps it is because it is varnish... I don't know. I assumed that the high dielectric rating for Rustoleum was due to the fact that ions and electricity were connected in the minds of chemists who know these things and thus... "Spray On Varnish" brand I mentioned would also inhibit rust. Maybe I got wrong info on Rustoleum but I am a hundred percent sure I am right on Spray On Insulating Varnish. Varnish may all be high in this department for all I know.

Also - Scotch makes an insulating spray paint and its insulating factor per mm was 600 ish.. Looked all this up today but I may be wrong about Rustoleum. I thought a google search brought that up but maybe google was mixing info on the page. I brought up the pdf for Spray On brand and it is what I said.

Last edited by joojoo1234; 29th November 2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:44 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

I think I may of been talking out my *** with the comment about standard spray paint being 500 in all honesty. Kind of guessing. So here is what I know. Spray on brand insulating red varnish is 2500. I like to guess sometimes. And the United States is going bankrupt.
Old 29th November 2011, 01:48 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Sprayon Clear Insulating Varnishes - 16-oz. clear insulatingvarnish | Wayfair
This item features:
Penetrates old and new materials
Air-dries (10-15 minutes)
High arc resistance and non-tracking properties
Insulating varnish in Class F applications
Contains no chlorinated solvents
Abrasion resistant
DanVern™ standard valve
Smooth surface sheds dirt readily
Arc resistant for 100 sec on glass
Uses include general coating, impregnating, and insulation for electrical and electronic products
Capacity Wt.: 12 oz
Packing Type: Aerosol Can
Color: Clear
Full Cure Time @ Temp.: 60 min @ 77 °F
Dielectric Strength: 2200.0 V/mil
Applicable Materials: Most Metals, Wood
Resistance: Oil, Wear, Corrosive Process, Moisture, Grease, Acid, Alkali, Dirt

OK 2200 NOT 2500... It is still way up there!
Old 29th November 2011, 02:10 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Corrosion of Metals

The corrosion of metals is an electrochemical process. That is, it is an electrical circuit where the exchange of electrons (electricity) is conducted by chemical reactions in part of the circuit. These chemical reactions occur at the surface of the metal exposed to the electrolyte. Oxidation reactions (corrosion) occur at the surface of the anode and reduction reactions occur at the surface of the cathode.

I thought I was correct... ions.. electricity... rust... so it makes sense that a rust preventative would have a high dielectric rating.

Hide this!Advertise here!