analysis epsilon - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2012, 08:16 PM   #201
tyu is online now tyu  United States
diyAudio Member

I had the Duetta...an thay are not made for moving...Thay well buzz eze.....thay would be great if you got a pr new an open them up in the room thay were going to stay in...i not saying the biger Apogee speakers dont sound good ...not much can give a better sound to me than the Duettas...not in to 3 way speakers my self...but you right about the Amps needed to drive the Duettas...just to much for me....the stages i have had 4pr never had the prob like you ..an never had a buzz out of any of the stages...lot of fun...i only have $200US in these..but thay can sound great for the cash.....
I think you were using a Krell amp on your stages is that right...killed the amp an the speakers got fryed....were you stages the older type with the dobbel side,ed foil on the tweeter? Front an back.....i have the newer ones with the foil only on the front..5 runes
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:46 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

it was a few years ago when i had them and i presume they were the older type glad yours seem to be better didnt have krell amp then .
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:06 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

brian t......can you show us a pic of the crossover...what caps an coils are used...thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:33 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

yep will do i have not traced out the xover circuit yet but i presume its 3rd order this is one area that needs experimenting with as the newer analysis models are first order ones.
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:48 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:50 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Old 23rd September 2012, 10:07 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

Been trying short speaker cables and longer interconnect so far sounds an improvement
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:08 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Old 23rd September 2012, 10:48 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Looks great...Wow i thought that all there crossovers were 6db ??....if yours is 3oder.... if this is the case you can chang yours to the 6db crossover..What amp...were you using with the stages??...an what amp is this....speaker wire looks good.....i have found with the ribbons... any changes made to the crossover ..wire... caps..even if you take a small peace of tape an put it on the coil wire well lower the base output....an can make the topend sweeter...any thing makes a big diff in the sound....thanks for your time
Old 23rd September 2012, 03:29 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Tyu, my epsilons are an early example i think thats why they are 3rd order i suppose its swings and rounds abouts steeper roll off takes the load off the ribbon a bit more, 1st order its more efficient easier load more transparancy? we shall see when i experiment as i find simple xovers are normally better but not always. The amp in the picture is a tripath 300w stereo amp i made with a switch mode psu x 2 i still have my krell FBP200 but the auto bias adjustment on one channel is faulty causing it to shut down on overheat after a short time even the good channel gets too hot for my likeing i think krell should have fitted bigger heatsinks.

Hide this!Advertise here!